Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ram 1000 alignment tool ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ram 1000 alignment tool ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1000 alignment tool ?

I have a Ram 1000, ( I know ) . I had to remove the tail cone to repair a spot weld. Now when I reassemble it, it rubs on the wheel. I'm told I must send it to Carlos, or Alberto the realign it with a special tool. When the cone is removed, the internal ring flops around, and must be captured with a piece of thin wire in order to line up a bolt and get it restarted. Does anyone know about this alignment tool ? I can't see how a tool would work as the cone covers everything when you install it. There is also a smaller internal cone on standoffs that wont allow anything inside.
I have moved it around and tightened the bolts in different sequence and achieved a free spinning engine, but when it's run, it starts to rub again, very slightly ,usually on cool down.
I know I can just send it in, but I like to learn how things are done if possible.
Any input from you former and present Ram guys would be appreiciated. Also, I would like to buy a Ram 500, or Ram 1000 ecu. Auto start. Version CO2 or Co3, or upgradable .
Thanks,
Dale

Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram 1000 alignment tool ?

I have not owned a RAM 1000 but normally the NGV is initially held in place by 4 of the 8 bolts. 4 of the holes in the tail cone are enlarged to slide over the bolts. The idea is to get some feeler gauges and get the wheel running concentric to the NGV and nip the 4 bolts up. Then place the tail cone on and secure with the other 4. The clamping ring can’t move too much cos the fuel manifold is only a few mm forward of it. Just holding it vertical is normally enough to get a bolt in.

If yours does not have 4 over sized holes then 3 feeler gauge blades of the right thickness, equally spaced and slid through the tail cone and between the wheel and ngv will do the trick.

Jason
Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram 1000 alignment tool ?

HI, I had my Ram 1000 apart to clean out the grass in the vanes, putting it back together is easy, just take your time, use a small piano wire and a flash light to line up the screw holes.
Rcpete
PS, it is actually a poor design as you can over tighten the screws