Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Which 30% should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which 30% should I get?

Speaking of deals...

http://performancercaircraft.com/html/edgeII/extra.html

Nice plane - comes with lots of carbon fiber parts and a full hardware package.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM
chris b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I stirred things up a bit...

Firstly, Thank you all for your very helpful answers. I only just got home so didn't see any of the bad stuff... a big thank you for the support guys, and to Flyjets for editing the "ridiculous response".

Obviously I should have been A LOT more specific with my question. So, a little background...
I am a decent pilot, one of the crowd pleasers at my local field, a fairly good 3D'er (although still perfecting things..) with nitro Funtana X100 and electric Mini FuntanaX and Extra 260 (all my favorite models are on my profile page) and I teach others flight and basic aerobatics. I work in a hobby store (mainly electric flight) and know enough to know what it is going to cost me, what equipment I will want/need/etc...
I really don’t deal with anything bigger than 1.20 size birds (dealt with a 33% and 35% yak, and watched a 35% extra) and therefore don’t get to test fly the big boys and see what would be the nicer plane to fly when going big scale. I really like the idea of a light wing loading, and I cant fit anything bigger than a 30% in my car, otherwise I would be all over a 35% Carden Extra with a DA100 in a heartbeat! When I get my truck I'll get the 40% I want

I figured a DA50 would provide my get up and go, I toyed with the DL, but that is another thread!

The Yak 54 and various Extras are my favorite planes, and although they have all been smaller electric - I have liked the ones that I have flown. I really want a plane that is going to give me that "I have been flying this plane for years" feel. Something not too heavy, good/better quality, and that comes with good/better hardware. Most importantly, a great performer. I want to take my 3D to the next level and I believe going gas is the way to do it.
Because I am limited with what I can transport, I really want to make sure I get the best available within the restrictions I have - a Yak or any of the Extras are all possibilities.

Does that help at all?
Thanks,
Chris B

Also:
For the record, I have been looking through thread after thread about these big birds for a number of weeks, and there are so many threads, all with such scattered information - mostly condoning 35% or bigger or "start small and work your way up" which might be great for a lot of people, but doesn’t really help me...
Thanks again,
Chris B
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Chris

I would find someone that has the size Plane your thinking about and see if that is something you can even Transport?

If it is I would find someone that could help me build it and see what they recommended.

Extreme Flight is good
SD Models are good
H9 also good.

http://www.aerobaticmodels.com/index.html

http://www.aero-works.net/store/

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN1000

I would stick with Balsa Built up Airframe for now and I would not go beyond 100cc personally from what your describing I would just get a 50cc machine.

50cc is the perfect throw in the truck/car and lets go Fly size. Larger then this and it will take some planning.

Even larger and you will have to get a Trailer.

The Yak is a great Airframe and with it's large control surfaces excels at 3D Flying.

The Extra or Edge are sleeker and Faster and present well with there Crisp control responses.

Hope this helps a bit
Ian
Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Martin, click on the link you provided - it says 'sold out'.

Happy to say I took one of them and almost done putting it together... very happy at that price...

ORIGINAL: martinarcher

Speaking of deals...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
yarom

Well Chris, you will have to make some choices.

If money is no object, go for the EF. Hands down, the best Yak and/or Extra on the market.

If you want to save, you can find planes for half the price and even less.

Since you work at a hobby store, you probably know the cost of the muffler, 5 high torque servos, regulators, batteries, switches, aluminum servo arms, tubing and all the small things that somehow always cost a $19.99...

A good quality plane will be north of $2K. You can put together a simple one for less than $1K if you absolutely need to...

The advice about the used planes was quite good. You can get a nice one for way less than it would cost new...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 PM
chris b

ORIGINAL: yarom

Well Chris, you will have to make some choices.

If money is no object, go for the EF. Hands down, the best Yak and/or Extra on the market.

If you want to save, you can find planes for half the price and even less.

Since you work at a hobby store, you probably know the cost of the muffler, 5 high torque servos, regulators, batteries, switches, aluminum servo arms, tubing and all the small things that somehow always cost a $19.99...

A good quality plane will be north of $2K. You can put together a simple one for less than $1K if you absolutely need to...

The advice about the used planes was quite good. You can get a nice one for way less than it would cost new...
Lol... Yes the $9 - 19.99 nightmare! I am well aware of the servos, regulators, batteries, switches, etc... They are not the issue as I get everything at cost (no $9.99's for me - yay!)
I wouldnt say that money is no object - but given the price advantage I have, its not as important as what it would be without it. I thought about the used plane route, but I see so many of the abominations that get pawned off on people, I would hate to be a victim of that! Not to say that anyone on here would do that - but then I didnt think a good customer of mine would either...!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 AM
chris b

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

Just drive down to Grants Pass and buy one from Chief Aircraft. Save on shipping. Maybe ask for a tour? Great way to pick out a plane.

bobzilla

Think Dana or Larry would give him a tour? He might wind up with a full scale if Dana does it...
Just checked out the website, might have to take a trip down there for a look. They seem to have a good selection - thanks for the tip.
-Chris
Old 01-04-2008, 01:39 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Like you, I am getting my first gasser, and I have similar flying experience but I'm probably not as good as you at 3D. I am limited by the size of the bed on my 1997 King Cab...I can fit around a 80" long fuselage diagonally in the bed. IF the nose is real pointy, it could be longer. The EF Yak is too long for my truck's bed. It would fit if I leave the gate down, not something I wish to do. Depends what vehicle you have. My son has a Scion xB but with the back seat and front passenger seat folded down, he would be able to fit the EF Yak believe it or not. SO the planes I looked at all had fuselages 80" or less. I guess I am suggesting that you take a tape measure to your vehicle and see what you can really hold. I missed the deal on the PAU Extra 330L, which is a plane someone suggested to you on this thread. They ran out of stock on the day I wanted to order. I considered Wild Hare's Extra 300, SD's Yak 54 30%. I ended up finding a Rich Models Extra 330L which is same as the PAU/BME Extra 330L, and that is what I ordered at a great price, and am awaiting delivery on. Received my DL-50 today. I empathize with you. Good luck and the hunt is half the fun! Hey where do you fly in Portland? I used to belong to the FlyAways RC club, now belong to the Keizer RC Association down in Salem. Jon
Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 AM
wavy777

This could be a long thread....LOL

All i want to add lastly, that if, you want to take your 3d to the next level...just one word....extremeflight.

Makes you look like a real pro....even me.....takes everything to the next level...no BS! Buy one!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
chris b

I gave the Extreme Flight a look as I have had a couple of people say that now, and they do look like they are put together well. I think I like the look of the Extra over the Yak, but ultimately, the performance is going to be more of a deciding factor than the look. Wouldnt mind getting thoughts from someone that has flown both... if thats possible?
I can fit an 86" fuse in my car without too many issues, but virtually no room to move around or for a passenger. I dont know anyone with a 50cc, otherwise I would just try it and go from there. My head is spinning after looking at planes all day - glad I have the kind of job that lets me surf the interet all day...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yarom

Martin, click on the link you provided - it says 'sold out'.

Happy to say I took one of them and almost done putting it together... very happy at that price...

ORIGINAL: martinarcher

Speaking of deals...

Doh - my bad! You lucky dog! I went with their 37% Ultimate - can't wait to finish it!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
chris b

Ok, so it has been narrowed to either the SD, Aeroworks or Extreme Flight. Pretty sure the DA is going to be the power plant - however I have chatted with a number of people (4 to be exact) running the DL motor and saying they are loving it. Even that the motor is putting out more power than the DA, no starting issues, good reliability, etc...
Anyone got first hand with a couple of these options?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
yarom

I run the EF Yak with both the DA and DL. Both good options, but I would not go as far as saying that the DL is stronger... When both broken-in properly, the DA seems to have an edge.

EF cannot really be mentioned in the same line with SD and/or AW - not the same league and not fair to SD or AW.

We have about three SDs Yaks in our field - with both DA and DL. They fly OK, are built OK and do not look very scale. They are cheaper to begin with but about the same price once you add the necessary CF parts and other goodies that already come with the EF. Going with EF from the start ends up being a better deal...

ORIGINAL: chris b

Ok, so it has been narrowed to either the SD, Aeroworks or Extreme Flight. Pretty sure the DA is going to be the power plant - however I have chatted with a number of people (4 to be exact) running the DL motor and saying they are loving it. Even that the motor is putting out more power than the DA, no starting issues, good reliability, etc...
Anyone got first hand with a couple of these options?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget World Models. They have an Extra 300L that is supposed to be 28%, but at 90" span and almost 1500 square inches, it's closer to 30% or 31% in size. It's cheaper than the EF, AW stuff and built very well. I just finished mine. Haven't flown it yet. 75cc engine. Honest weight is about 18.5 pounds.

I think for a true 30% bird, you need more than a 50cc engine. 60cc would be the minimum for me. I used a 75cc engine, but keep in mind I fly at 6000' elevation, so extra HP is essential for good pullout from a hover. A 50cc engine just isn't going to get the job done with 17 pounds at this altitude.

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=76
http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1318

It's a good ARF, but it's no AW QB. I modified the wing attachments so that I could use a nylon bolt for securing my wings. The instructions have to using a sheetmetal screw through the wing tube. Stupid IMO-- but I'm also a perfectionist and very anal.

I didn't use the hardware because I'm EXTREMELY picky about that kind of stuff. BUT, it's actually got pretty nice hardware. Ball bearings on the control horns and clevises. Nice cable assembly for the rudder pull/pull.

I modified the tailwheel assembly too. I wanted a lighter CF unit, so I had to cut open the bottom of the plane and install a larger piece of plywood to attach the tailwheel. Again--stock unit will work fine, but I wanted something nicer and I'm anal.

You have to do a little more work on a plane like this. Look at it like this--you get a framed and covered airframe with good hardware. But it's gonna take some thinking and head scratching to build a nice model that will last a couple seasons.

If you want to pull it out of the box and snap it together--get an AW.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
shall36
My Feedback: (23)

Hey Chris,

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I figured I'd chime in. I bought a used 50cc AW 260 with DA 50 and KS canister. Absolutely great flying airplane. It had all high-end JR servos and Li-IO packs with regulators as well as other extras (no pun intended). It had about a dozen flights on it and the fellow needed the money. I gave $1950 for it. Build cost was probably close to $3K. It flies great and is just about is big as I can go without running into transport or space problems. I have the money for a 100cc or 150cc airplane, but I don't see the advantage of doing that at this point. This will be my first year of IMAC (the first SE meet is in Port St. Lucie next week) and I figure there's no need to go bigger until I can consistently perform well in the Basic and Sportsman classes.

I will say this, I looked very closely at a variety of 1.20 to 1.80 birds. You can get one of those well set up for around $1000. If you fly alot, you will probably burn the difference in price in fuel in 3 years? The kicker for me was that I didn't want to deal with the MESS of glow fuel with the added bonus of a bigger plane with better wing loading, the day to day economy of gas fuel, and a better flying airplane.

I'm a big fan of buying stuff used...I try to buy everything used. You get a lot more value, especially when you find the person who needs to dump his stuff right away.

Good Luck! Let us know what you do! Oh, and pics, too!