Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

I Am Hooked

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:04 AM
dpsper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Am Hooked

The weather here has finally gotten decent enough for me to fire up my new twin engine creation.
Never mind the plane, lets talk engines. I bought 2 OS.50SX's as a result of reading reviews on these forums. My decision was made after reading of what a reliable idle they have, not to mention superior performance over the .46fx (which I already own).
I painstakingly set the throttles as close as I could get them by eye. I am using a Futaba XT6 transmitter so I don't have all the fancy throttle mixes.
Opened the needles 1 1/2 turns, primed the carbs with about 5 prop revolutions, attached glow, barely touched the starter to it and.... "wow, its quiet".
Second verse, same as the first, this time on the starboard side.
The sound from the first one just kind of drifted off to the background (?) as I second one came alive.
After I pulled the glow starter off, it all just started to make a funny sound in my head, and I couldnt really hear either one. It kind of scared me cuz I was waiting for one to go lean, or rich, or just do something different. So I waited. About 30 seconds. Put the tach on them. Both within 50 RPM at 3600. Cool.
Advance to 1/4 throttle, port side engine stumbled a bit but instantly recovered to that familiar harmonic sound. WOW. Advanced throttle to 1/2 and within 1 second was same harmonic sound. Wow. Couldn't beleive my ears.
At this point I got nervous about running lean, I just wanted to hear this pair run up full, so I richened by 1/4 turn. Let them settle in together, and very slowly went to WOT. Goosebumps is all I can say.

All in all, these engine preform meticulously together, from idle to wide open throttle. And they seem to idle forever and snap right back to life.
I cannot wait to get these bad boys out on the runway.

PS. I got so excited about this twin, I just had to hear another one run. So I put the battery back into my motorcycle.
Harley-Davidson. V-Twin. 80C.I. or 1340C.C. (thats an old sweet sound)
Old 04-13-2003, 03:40 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I Am Hooked

Dpsper

Welcome to the wonderful wackey and sometimes frustrating world of 'multi flight'.

Now awaiting a report on the maiden with those engines on whatever the airplane is?

John