Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fuselage / electrical grommet

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fuselage / electrical grommet

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuselage / electrical grommet

I'm building a Comp-ARF Extra 330 (2.3m). The fuselage is in fiberglass. Since both aileron servos and stab servos are mounted in the wings / stabs, I need to run some wire through the fuselage. I'm concerned that the fiberglass will cut through the wires sooner or later and I would like to install some rubber grommet on the fuselage to protect the wires.

The question is: do you guys know where to get some grommet large enough to allow for standard servos plugs? I looked on TBM / Chief sites but did not find anything.

Thanks

Arnaud

Old 01-19-2008, 02:23 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuselage / electrical grommet

If you can't find grommets, maybe you can put tape or split fuel tubing over the wire where it contacts the fuse?
I do this on engine wires around the firewall on the gassers.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any hardware store has assorted sizes of grommets in the electrical supply department. If that fails try an auto supply store. Just find one in a size that suits and cut the hole to fit the grommet.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't forget to check out your local Harbor Freight outlet, you can usually pick up an assortment of different sizes. I've also found them at Lowes, Home Depot and even a Cal Ranch store near me...

By hardware stores, I was thinking about places like Ace Hardware when I mentioned Lowes and Home Depot Pat, not ignoring your suggestion, my local Ace store has a better selection of commonly used RC hardware than my local hobby shops in most cases.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Tired Old Man

Something really nice about a Comp Arf at the wing to fuselage junction is that you can cut a pretty big hole to fit things through and easily cover it up with the wing root. It makes sizing openings just too easy.

I hear ya when it comes to hardware stores and small parts selections. Often it's a wider selection at a much lower price than a hobby shop. You just have to know what to look for and where.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 AM
acw

Thanks everyone. I'll go grommet hunting this afternoon.

Arnaud
Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Pat said it...any hardware store... Lowes, Home Depot, etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't find it at the hardware store, Dons Hobby Shop has exactly what you are talking about.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 PM
acw

Yes, Dons Hobby Shop has exactly what I need. But the frustrating part is that their own online store doesn't sell their products!!!

OSH, here I come.

Arnaud
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I don't use grommets. I put a single charge adapter on each side of the fuse and just plug the aileron servo lead into it. No losing servo leads and can be done with one hand. I also use these in a one piece wing inside the fuse.

http://search.horizonrc.com/index.js...20wires%20&N=0

JRPA024

Other brand radio's have the samething.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Tired Old Man

Ordering from Don's Hobby Shop is most efficiently done by phone via their 800 number. You get to talk to a real, honest to God, human on the other end of the connection and they never require you to enter information twice or lose the order and take you back to the main window.

It's an old concept that once used is found to be quite nice, as well as personally taylored to the individuals needs.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Ordering from Don's Hobby Shop is most efficiently done by phone via their 800 number. You get to talk to a real, honest to God, human on the other end of the connection and they never require you to enter information twice or lose the order and take you back to the main window.

It's an old concept that once used is found to be quite nice, as well as personally taylored to the individuals needs.

Well said.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
acw

Yeah this is all good, unless you do have a strong foreign accent like me and then have to repeat everything 3 times and spell every little detail of the order.

For this reason, I prefer to buy online and in this case, I can't understand how is it possible that a company doesn't sell its own products.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! I'm all set!

Arnaud
Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Zeeb said it--Harbor Freight. I picked up a plastic box of about 300 assorted rubber grommets for like $2. It don't get any easier than that. They also have heat shrink tubing in rolls. You need 3/8" size for servo connectors. I buy about 20 feet of it at a time. Cost about $1.50. Cut it into 1.5" pieces and use it around servo connectors and extension cables. Never had one come apart. When you are ready to change servos or gut the wrecked model -- just slice the heat shrink with an exacto knife and peel it off.

Hardware can be found at www.microfasteners.com. Every little 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 10-32 and 1/4-20 bolt you could ever want. All kinds of lengths. Plastic, aluminum, steel, stainless --whatever you want. Blind nuts, hex nuts, nylon lock nuts--they got it all. Lock washers, star washers, flat washers, fender washers, plastic washers--again--everything you need.

I haven't bought hardware from a hobby store or online hobby store in YEARS. About the only thing I buy from them is wheel collars and pushrod connectors. All nuts and bolts are bought from online sources at 1/100th the cost of the hobby stores. Where else can you buy 100 nylon 4-40 panhead bolts 1/2" long for $1.20? I use them for cowls. Have you ever seen a bulk package of 100 nuts in 8-32 size for $3 at a hobby shop? Usually they charge $5 for 4 of them.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Marine Supply has them as well.

U have to use them or the wires will Chaff.

I go one step further and run the wires inside a protective sleeve in that area as well.

Ian
Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 PM
RTK

I sometimes use silicon fuel line split and affixed in the hole with clear silicon.