Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stock HPI polished pipe vs JP-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock HPI polished pipe vs JP-3

How would the 2 pipes compare? I'm looking more or less to quieten my truck, more than gain performance. Does the JP-3 mean it has 3 chambers? (That's what I thought anyways) Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 AM
savaged_dude

Default RE: Stock HPI polished pipe vs JP-3

what pipe do you have now?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Hordsak

I have the stock polished HPI pipe. And you know what, my friend has the 4.6 rtr, with the plastic pipe, and his truck is alot louder than mine is.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hordsak

How would the 2 pipes compare? I'm looking more or less to quieten my truck, more than gain performance. Does the JP-3 mean it has 3 chambers? (That's what I thought anyways) Thanks.

the HPI pipe is actually a pretty junky pipe..a JP-3 will make alot more power on almost every motor, as well a JP-3 will be much quieter.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
dan12779

so whats the very best pipe you can get and a link to it thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: dan12779

no such thing.....too many different motors out there for there to be one "best" pipe......... one of the best pipes is a 053, a JP-3 is very versatile. a 086 and MSR 1005 can make a race motor sing.....So its most likely a matter of matching the pipe to your application.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
burnchassis3

ORIGINAL: supertib

no such thing.....too many different motors out there for there to be one "best" pipe......... one of the best pipes is a 053, a JP-3 is very versatile. a 086 and MSR 1005 can make a race motor sing.....So its most likely a matter of matching the pipe to your application.
How can you tell which pipe is best for which engine ,without buyin,and trying them all?
CS
Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: burnchassis3

How can you tell which pipe is best for which engine ,without buyin,and trying them all?
CS
I agree...On what grounds are you saying the HPI pipe is "actually pretty junky"? I only ask this because I have heard many knowledgable R/C people say it's a pretty good all-around pipe. As wise as you claim to be, surely you can tell us ignorant noobs why so many people are wrong on this.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: burnchassis3

CS
I agree...On what grounds are you saying the HPI pipe is "actually pretty junky"? I only ask this because I have heard many knowledgable R/C people say it's a pretty good all-around pipe. As wise as you claim to be, surely you can tell us ignorant noobs why so many people are wrong on this.

pipe does not create adequate back pressure to properly pressurize the fuel tank... as a rule many engines will run extremely lean on top end with this pipe killing top end performance.... unfortunately this pipe was designed to make lots of noise and not much more....It works though, and on low revving RTR mills it may not hurt too badly, but next to good 053 or 086 the HPI pipe is a pretty poor all around tuned pipe
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
drivefastgto

Hmmm...Okay then, based on what you said:

If a pipe is improperly pressurizing the tank, causing a lean condition, would it not be running lean/low on power through the entire RPM range? Especially since the fuel pressure would obviously be lower at lower RPMs?

Also, are you sure you're talking about the polished pipe, not the ribbed one? Because you are the very first I have seen to comment on the polished pipe as a noisemaker, and the ribbed pipe is well known for how loud it is.

Lastly, I (and others, I'm sure) would like to hear something factual, i.e. a recorded power or speed increase between 2 or more pipes on the same vehicle, in the same conditions, properly tuned for each pipe. Or maybe dyno results (same engine, same dyno).

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk...it just gets old hearing people call one part junk and another part gold without any empirical evidence whatsoever.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
supertib

Hmmm...Okay then, based on what you said:

If a pipe is improperly pressurizing the tank, causing a lean condition, would it not be running lean/low on power through the entire RPM range? Especially since the fuel pressure would obviously be lower at lower RPMs?

Also, are you sure you're talking about the polished pipe, not the ribbed one? Because you are the very first I have seen to comment on the polished pipe as a noisemaker, and the ribbed pipe is well known for how loud it is.

Lastly, I (and others, I'm sure) would like to hear something factual, i.e. a recorded power or speed increase between 2 or more pipes on the same vehicle, in the same conditions, properly tuned for each pipe. Or maybe dyno results (same engine, same dyno).

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk...it just gets old hearing people call one part junk and another part gold without any empirical evidence whatsoever.

better yet go buy a 053 pipe and run it next to your HPI polished and make your own assesments....If you doupt me that is fine, I dont sell these tuned pipes and I truly dont owe you anything more then I have already given you.... you either can take my advice or leave it, its no difference to me in the end...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
billyp1106
My Feedback: (-1)

supertib, the 053 your speaking of a dyamite pipe?...if so i have it but yet to install it...i do know its a 053 but its by dynamite
Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: billyp1106

supertib, the 053 your speaking of a dyamite pipe?...if so i have it but yet to install it...i do know its a 053 but its by dynamite

any pipe with a 053 designation will work pretty much the same, including a Nova 9853....... though the Ninja 2053 tuned pipes are different.....
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Hordsak

What does the "053" mean exactly?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
burnchassis3

ORIGINAL: billyp1106

any pipe with a 053 designation will work pretty much the same, including a Nova 9853....... though the Ninja 2053 tuned pipes are different.....
You speak of these pipes as good 1's ,with what engine combos have you tried with these?
CS
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
drivefastgto

better yet go buy a 053 pipe and run it next to your HPI polished and make your own assesments....If you doupt me that is fine, I dont sell these tuned pipes and I truly dont owe you anything more then I have already given you.... you either can take my advice or leave it, its no difference to me in the end...
Oh come on. Surely you have something to back up what you're saying...getting upset when you're asked for a few more facts isn't helping this thread. I don't remember saying anything about owning either pipe, did I? I'm just trying to find answers backed up by anything real. Sorry, but the Internet is too full of speculation sometimes, and it can be hard to tell who really has helpful information, and who is just feeding others BS to make themselves feel smart. I honestly don't know which category you fall into, and no, you sure don't owe me anything, but if the above quote is the best you can do, well...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
supertib

Oh come on. Surely you have something to back up what you're saying...getting upset when you're asked for a few more facts isn't helping this thread. I don't remember saying anything about owning either pipe, did I? I'm just trying to find answers backed up by anything real. Sorry, but the Internet is too full of speculation sometimes, and it can be hard to tell who really has helpful information, and who is just feeding others BS to make themselves feel smart. I honestly don't know which category you fall into, and no, you sure don't owe me anything, but if the above quote is the best you can do, well...
First thing is that I am not upset, if i was upset i'd be swearing..

comparing the HPI polished pipe to the pipes I have mentioned is truly a no-brainer... If you think I may be lying to you then continue on running what you run.... I seriously do not have the time, patience or desire to further discuss HPI polished vs 1 piece racing pipes...nor am I going to purchase and pay to have a HPI polished pipe dynoed just to prove some smart ass on the internet wrong......... As I already know once I produce the actual dyno results you will vanish like a ghost in the wind before you'd ever admit you were wrong in the first place..... So to me I see no benefit at all to validate to you why a 053.JP-3,086,MSR 1005 is superior to a HPI polished pipe......If my word is not good enough then so be it...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Hordsak

What does "053" mean?!?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM
drivefastgto

I'm here, & I'd most certainly still be here with any proof, one way or the other. Let me try a different tone with ya...I have not called you a liar, nor has this "smart ass on the internet" claimed that any pipe was better than another, so how are you proving me wrong? I was, and am, just asking for some sort of reference so I could better understand why one pipe is better than another. I would then be satisfied no matter the results. My statement regarding the amount of total BS on the internet is NOT directed at you. By your post count, that means you've been on the net long enough to know just how much crap there is out there. You know what I'm saying, and if it keeps things more civil, I'd be happy to give credit where it's due if/when I see what I'm looking for.

There, was that better ?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Hordsak

What does "053" mean?!?
its like a serial number for the pipe style ! 053 is a very good all around tuned pipe that you can trust will work good on pretty much any and every engine...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 PM
bigD1977
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

the best one you can get would have to be a BUKU pipe as they are tuneable. here is a link http://www.bukupower.com/
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
drivefastgto

I've noticed a quite a few people swear by those Buku pipes...I think that's a very cool idea they have, I just wish they didn't cost more than most performance mufflers do for real cars!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
CWC

Supertib, what is your preferred brand of #053 pipe Dynamite, Ofna or any other? Or is there any better pipe? Will the stock hpi header work or should I ext tvps and use a differant header?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 AM
savaged_dude

the diameter of the stinger has alot to do with the power it produces to the engine. Larger diameter will give you more low enf torque. I think I have that right? That is why the HPI pipe is only good for low end not for race motors. The 053 is a very good pipe. JP-3 is good as well. I would consider consider the hpi polished pipe a decent pipe soewhat. It does get the timing of the engine somewhere in the ballpark. It does not however compare to the 053 or the jp-3