Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Why change what is fine ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why change what is fine ?

I just got to really look at the fan / magneto on the 24 cc Homelite. It is a waste of time & money to change to a battery powered Electronic Ignition setup. The E I needs to be watched like a hawk, or you have a sudden dead engine.
I am running it in a boat.
Stock, it is so simple to keep running.
Otherwise, I will be like our war machine. Super carrier to knock off 1 bad person in the center of a town.

KISS all the way.

Rich
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Why change what is fine ?

It simply depends on the application, plus I find it no more difficult to keep track of the ignition battery as it is to look after the onboard receiver battery pack.

Switching to an EI system on engines earmarked for aircraft is most times a weight saving excercise, and also aids considerably in ease of starting, while you boaters have the benefit of a recoil pull cord starting arrangement.

Karol
Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto that.
Hand flipping an EI engine makes life much easier. In a boat, you need a flywheel anyway, + you can take advantage of the fan for cooling
Old 02-05-2008, 04:57 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

I just got to really look at the fan / magneto on the 24 cc Homelite. It is a waste of time & money to change to a battery powered Electronic Ignition setup. The E I needs to be watched like a hawk, or you have a sudden dead engine.
I am running it in a boat.
Stock, it is so simple to keep running.
Otherwise, I will be like our war machine. Super carrier to knock off 1 bad person in the center of a town.

KISS all the way.

Rich

--------------

I agree that the knee-jerk reaction of replacing a magneto with an EI is often not warranted and is expensive with no return-on-investment.

However, now that I'm older and with much less energy available for hand cranking magneto equipped airplane engines, I often succumb to buying gas engines with EI only. Were I operating a boat with easy access to a starting pulley, etc., I'd probably stay with the magneto too.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys.

I am ALWAYS for safe, fast, easy starts. That is why this engine will have a electric starter. My 66 cc engine had to have 1. So I will move it to the 24 cc.
3 or 4 A123 cells, my RAM electric switch, and Bingo. So nice to restart & stop from the Xmitter.
Timing belt and a 1 way clutch bearing does it.

Rich