Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 80 will not throttle up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM
tms261

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 80 will not throttle up.

Hi everyone. Just hoping someone can help here. I have a 3W-80xi that I just fired up the first time yesterday. Seemed ok at first, though rich at factory settings of 1 turn per needle. Running without cowl.

Lawnboy 32:1, 93 Octane
5 cell 1800 ignition battery
26 X 10 Prop
mounted on 3w mounting plate
MTW 110 canister

Started easy, and throttled ok though sluggish and rich sounding...let it run for a few minutes. Then taxied around just to see where I forgot locktite......haha...Engine seemed fine. Turned off and started again hot. No problem, ran as before...taxied some more. Shutdown and cranked warm again, but this time, all it would do was idle. When I tried to throttle up, it would make a strange sound, and maybe pickup 1 or 200 RPM's but thats all. Friend said sound seemed to come from velocity stack. Just would not throttle up. Throttle arm visibly moving fine as no cowl.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 3W 80 will not throttle up.

I would check the basic stuff. Your 3W is a bullet proof motor. If its not throttling up something very basic is wrong, fuel draw blockage, loose screw on throttle arm. The arm may be moving but is it moving anything else? I think you will find its very basic.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

What are your needle settings now? Did you play with them or just leave it sounding rich?

Does the rpm increase and just die or does it stay 100 or 200 rpms higher and just make a noise?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
mitchmcf

I had the same thing happen to me and found out it was the ign. bat. recharged it and all was fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
tms261

Thanks fellas for chiming in. I got a chance to check further and have confirmed the ignition battery although new, was holding up for only about 20 minutes. Its a 1200 NimH 5 cell. After charging engine ran fine though rich, and after a a tank and a half run time, started doing the same thing....checked battery with load meter and got 6.3 no load......1.38 with even .5A load.........Wow, I think I'll go cycle ALL my batteries!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the ign. module is by ZDZ, you can safely use A123 battery (even the one by B&D VPX 1100mah) pack. I have been using one on my ZDZ40. No problem, and it is 3oz in weight!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: tms261

Thanks fellas for chiming in. I got a chance to check further and have confirmed the ignition battery although new, was holding up for only about 20 minutes. Its a 1200 NimH 5 cell. After charging engine ran fine though rich, and after a a tank and a half run time, started doing the same thing....checked battery with load meter and got 6.3 no load......1.38 with even .5A load.........Wow, I think I'll go cycle ALL my batteries!!!
I always cycle brand new batteries (especially NiMH) about 5 times before I trust them. I don't know if there is anything scientific behind it, but I've noticed that my new MH batteries don't hold a charge worth a darn for the first couple charges. I always cycle them to run them through some charge/discharge cycles. Check to see if they are coming up to rated capacity after 3 or 4 cycles.