Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

single cell lipo for ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
lrglnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single cell lipo for ignition

I have read several threads where folks are using single cell lipos for their ignition. I have a Zenoah g20 and am thinking of doing this as well. Are you happy with this setup ? does it last long and easy to charge? what about over discharging ? And finaly, where are you getting high mah single cell batteries?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: single cell lipo for ignition

Brillelli.com sells them, I bought oe, but haven't used it yet, but if Scott a Brillelli says it works it works.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

It won't work on that ignition for the G-20... it only works on the RCXEL unit... I am not sure if it is all rcxels or one version of them.

edit: I stand corrected I thought G-20 was 2cell only.. my bad.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

[:@]Sorry, my bad. I just thought everyone had switch to the RCXEL, thanks for catching that. Nothing worst than bad info on the internet, and I just did it.[:@]
Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

I believe on the Zenoah EI, people are using 2 cell LiPo's because of the high current draw and high capacity battery needed. I am sure there is info on here about it somewere.

Jake is correct, the Rc Excell or CH Excell are the only EI units I know of that will run on the single cell lipo. Also the hall sensor has to be the correct one for it to work. All of them I use do, but I do not know about others.

Soarrich, with all of the threads on here about different EI and batteries, it is hard to keep it all strait [X(]
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

It won't work on that ignition for the G-20... it only works on the RCXEL unit... I am not sure if it is all rcxels or one version of them.

I have been flying two gas engines all last season on one LyPoli a Brison 2.4 and First place 2.4. This was with the CHXL ignition which is about the same as the RCEXL . The battery drain on 3.7 volts is about 350MA at 7500 RPM. The motor will start cutting out at full RPM before befor the Li-Poly gets low enough to hurt the cell. Just do not forget to turn off the switch ,if you use a throttle kill.The RCEXL ignitions is exactly the same circuit as out CH system. They use a different program for there timing control then out Syncro Spark or our CH timing board.You are a little more likely to get bumped when hand starting a larger engine with the RCEXL ignition. You have to crank them like you mean it.A chicken stick is the worst thing in the world to get a kick back. Use a heave glove maybe two of them.
BCCHI
Tony Clark with Zenoah engines says to use one LiPoly on the G-20. The g-20 ignition draws 2.5 to 3 amps.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

I use a single lipo on my zenoah ignition system. Works extremely well. Toni Clark recommends a 2400mah single lipo pack. I am using a 3400mah pack as thats the only one I have handy.Draw is about 1500mah and a 2400mah pack lasts about one and onehalf hours. I fly the whole day with mine.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Jake Ruddy

I believe mine is a CHXL that I am using.. 1550 1 cell lipo lasts around 2 hrs.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcchi

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

I have been flying two gas engines all last season on one LyPoli a Brison 2.4 and First place 2.4. This was with the CHXL ignition which is about the same as the RCEXL . The battery drain on 3.7 volts is about 350MA at 7500 RPM. The motor will start cutting out at full RPM before befor the Li-Poly gets low enough to hurt the cell. Just do not forget to turn off the switch ,if you use a throttle kill.The RCEXL ignitions is exactly the same circuit as out CH system. They use a different program for there timing control then out Syncro Spark or our CH timing board.You are a little more likely to get bumped when hand starting a larger engine with the RCEXL ignition. You have to crank them like you mean it.A chicken stick is the worst thing in the world to get a kick back. Use a heave glove maybe two of them.
BCCHI
Tony Clark with Zenoah engines says to use one LiPoly on the G-20. The g-20 ignition draws 2.5 to 3 amps.
Good idea about using a glove to start engine. I got a firemans heavy leather glove...very good protection. Capt,n
Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 AM
lrglnman

So in other words , if I use the oem ignition I can't use a single cell lipo ? Looks like it shouldn't matter as long as I was energizing it with 4.8 volts.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Jake Ruddy

Apparently they will use a cell lipo.

On a side note though... you can't charge a single cell lipo to 4.8 volts. Fully charged they are 3.7 volts. Also make sure you have a charger designed to charge lipos. You can't just use a normal nimh/nicad charger on them.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: lrglnman

So in other words , if I use the oem ignition I can't use a single cell lipo ? Looks like it shouldn't matter as long as I was energizing it with 4.8 volts.
The OEM ignition system runs happily on a single cell lipo! The igniton system cuts off at 3.1volt which will protect your lipo. I've been using a single lipo with great success.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
GLflyer

I also run mine on a single cell lipo, 3200 mah. A good source for these batteries is www.maxamps.com
Old 02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
lrglnman

I was not aware that lipo's maxed out at 3.7. unlike nicads or nmhd which will over charge a bit. Hummmmm........ How do you all feel about using a voltage regulator on 2 cells? I have read pros and cons. I guess now is the time to hammer this out once and for all. Also which fuel pump is a good one . I only need a manual one .