Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How do you guys transport....

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How do you guys transport....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you guys transport....

this is mainly for the guys that use the bed of their pick ups... how do you guys do it with your 28-30% airplanes? I was making a rig but it doesnt look like its going to work out... pics would be nice if you have any

thanks

e.r.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 PM
StPeteFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you guys transport....

Mine fits in diagnal in a 05' F-150. I just strap it down and keep a tarp with me incase it rains. Im hoping to have a camper shell by the end of March though.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
MetallicaJunkie

so you put your flight box and wings inside you cab? i wanted to be able to have everything in the bed of my truck strapped down and secured, i need to figure something out.

thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a camper shell on mine + its a 8' bed
Old 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a shell on my pick up bed. I just put planes inside (up to about 38%) with wheel chocks to keep it in place. Everything else is just secured to the sides of the bed or is left free standing. I have a rubber mat on the deck which limits movement of items.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

no shell here i just rest the wheels in the space between the tailgate and bed with it down of course for my big ones and hold them down with ratchet straps...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Max speed 35 mph. Foam under wings one strap around fuse at tail. My flying field was only 5 minutes away at the time.

Gasser up and fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58548.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	878793  
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Anyone fitting a 28-30% in a honda accord? I'm curious, can it be done without taking the landing gear off and other modifications?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Shortman

Anyone fitting a 28-30% in a honda accord? I'm curious, can it be done without taking the landing gear off and other modifications?

I dont know about the Accord. I have a Ford Contour SVT and fit my 30% Ultimate in ok, but I had to take the gear off each time. The Accord should be close in size. Does your back seat fold down flat? Mine didn't fold completely flat so I had to take the one back seat half out when going to the field to get the tailwheel as low as possible so the rudder would clear the back deck. I should have taken pics of it last season - it was a full car for sure. I bought a trailer to tow now - best $700 I ever spent.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I can put one 28% giant and one 120 size plane inside the 4-runner. Just need a stand to raise the tail up to pass folded-down rear seats.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM
IscarRep
My Feedback: (8)

Goldberg Obsession....83" long tip of rudder to front of crankshaft fits in my Dodge Magnum with about 3" to spare.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 30% Extra don't fit in my Nissan truck. The bed is 73" long and the plane is about 87" long. It HAD removable stabs, but I didn't like the attachment method and didn't want to go to the troubler of modifying them to suit my taste. So, I bought a CF tube and glued the stabs on. No way it's gonna fit now. I MIGHT have been able to fit it at a diagonal if the stabs came off, but too late now.

I have a glass topper.

I just put the plane in--nose first. Close my tailgate and put a piece of foam under the bottom of the fuse. The fuse rests on the tailgate and I leave the door on the topper open. I run a morotcycle strap around the top of the fuse and ratchet it to the bumper -- SOFTLY so that I don't crush the plane.

It works. It ain't pretty, but it works. I keep my wings in a bag and my gas can and TX box are attached to the tie down loops in the bed with bungee cords.

I only live about 7 miles from the field. All side roads or back roads. Nothing over about 40MPH.

The WORSE part of it, is getting it in and out of my apartment. I have NO room and my planes are hung from the ceiling on ropes and pulleys in our bedroom. Gotta get my wife to help me untie the ropes and lower the plane. Hold the doors open. Get it in the truck. If she's not home, I'm stuck. []
Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Max speed 35 mph. Foam under wings one strap around fuse at tail. My flying field was only 5 minutes away at the time.

Gasser up and fly.
i love that idea but the club i fly at is 15 minutes away and at freeway speeds, there are backroads around it, but they are pretty bumpy as well...

this is what im gonna attempt to build http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductSkyHaul.html but to hold 2 wing halves...... the attached picture is what i built the other night, but its not going to work to transport, its a bit too high, it would work in a van or something enclosed though...

thanks for the replies

Name:	Pn35936.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	878955  
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Gotta get my wife to help me untie the ropes and lower the plane. Hold the doors open. Get it in the truck. If she's not home, I'm stuck. []

LoL that could certainly spoil a beautiful day
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

The WORSE part of it, is getting it in and out of my apartment. I have NO room and my planes are hung from the ceiling on ropes and pulleys in our bedroom. Gotta get my wife to help me untie the ropes and lower the plane. Hold the doors open. Get it in the truck. If she's not home, I'm stuck. []
Dude! I gotta see that! Hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom! [X(] I bet the wife loves that! That is actually pretty cool, get to stare at them to put you to sleep. I live in Castle Rock, so if the wife is gone and you ever need help to go fly, give me a jingle. I grew up in Arvada and the parents still live up there. Do you fly at AAM? That is where I learned to fly when I was a teenager, but at the old field off Indiana. [8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Rcpilot

Yes, I fly at the Arvada club. Been a member of that club since 1998, back when we were on 84th & Indiana. I helped build the new field back in 2000.

Okay, first up, my club trainer. It's the clubs plane. But, I am responsible for maintaining it and caring for it. This is one of a handful of airplanes that belong to the club and are entrusted to the voluteer flight instructors. Behind it is my Fat Bee. It's a slope soaring foamie. Big and fat, takes about 30mph wind to fly it. But LOOK OUT!! because when it gets wound up and starts moving out, you don't want to be anywhere around!!

Next is my World Models 80" Patty Wagstaff. She's wrecked. But I'll fix her and fly her again some day. This was my first gasser and I just love that plane too much to junk it.

Next is my 90" World Models Extra 300L. Haven't flown it yet. Just finished it, but I'm sorta unemployed and broke right now. []

Behind the Extra 300L is my Bee. Another slope soaring foamie for combat and mild DS.

Finally, this is what I look at each night before I go to sleep.

Pardon the mess. It's a very small apartment and I still have boxes of stuff sitting around that I can't unpack. No room for all of it. [sm=red_smile.gif] Yes, thats a bath towel hanging on my bed.

Name:	Nl29347.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	879520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41218.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	879521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61069.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	879522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26316.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	879523  
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
MetallicaJunkie

thats cool, you must have a very loving wife i wish i had a bigger house myself so that i could have a room inside dedicated to be a hangar

what engine do you have on your world model extra?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get him started on engines....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

thats cool, you must have a very loving wife i wish i had a bigger house myself so that i could have a room inside dedicated to be a hangar

what engine do you have on your world model extra?
The engine is a Stihl 76.5cc I'm calling it 75cc. Ralph did the conversion.

Name:	Tr51233.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	879892  
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
MetallicaJunkie

wow that looks cool! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] should be a great powerplant for the extra 300L
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Rcpilot

The World Models Patty Wagstaff ( Extra 300S ) had a G62 and weighed about 16 pounds. 80" wingspan, 1275 sq.in.

The 75cc Stihl is on a 90" Extra 300L -- also a World Models plane. 1482sq. in. About 20-21 pounds.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
UH60 Crewdog

I suggest looking around in a local paper. If you have a truck or car with a towing package see if you can find a jet-ski trailor for $200-$300 bucks then frame it out with some wood 4-5 feet wide 3ft high and 8 ft long. Then sheet it with treated ply and paint. Cost's about $500 or cheaper if you like. Works like a dream and theres no more having to unload the car or truck as soon as you get home. It's well worth it if your going to spend a carzy amount of money on a airplane and then see if you can fold it into honda civic with out giving it a rash on the first time. Forgot to say cover the top of the trailor with a removable cover or even a truck bed cover. You maybe the biggest redneck to roll up at your club BUT the smartest redneck they know!