Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Is a Static line needed for the Fuji 43?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Is a Static line needed for the Fuji 43?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is a Static line needed for the Fuji 43?

I can pick up a brand new Fuji 43 for a good price and I was wondering if the Fuji 43 needs a static line run from the carb into the fuselage. I have been using Brielli engines and all of my Brillelli's come with a static nipple already on them for this purpose. The Fuji 43 does not have a static nipple so it got me thinking I my need to install one so it will run right once I install it inside a cowl.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is a Static line needed for the Fuji 43?

Brillelli adds the nipple for the one off installation that might need a static line. You don't know if one might be needed until an engine has been installed and flown. The same applies with any other engine so I wouldn't have any concerns for now.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
jstanton

Thanks. I guess I'll start the plane and taxi it around before I try going airborne. I will be installing this Fuji 43 on a GP Ultimate 160. I really want to make sure I don't have any issues once I take off.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Tired Old Man

You won't know until you do. Issues never exibit on the ground.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
jstanton

If that is the case I will install static line anyway. I would rather be save than sorry.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Tired Old Man

Fly it first!! There are engines and installations that react quite badly to the addition of a static tube and you may well be shooting yourself in the foot by doing so. Very few engines need a static tube.

You know nothing about how the engine will perform until it gets in the air. Time would be much better spent properly tuning the engine before the first flight instead of adding options.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto that.
In flight flow characteristics around the fuselage and cowl plays tricks you cannot imagine whilst running on the ground. But then again, it does not have to.
I have been thinking a lot about this, and maybe the solution is the good old pitot tube planes use to measure speed. If this will work in knife edge????
Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
jstanton

Thanks guy's. I guess I'll try it first. I just hope I don't have a power loss when the plane goes airborne.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Tired Old Man

Even if you did it would not be severe enough to create a problem in bringing the plane back. Typically the "burbal" will only occur in certain attitudes, the most prevalent being knife edge and inverted. You would not be in either one for an approach or landing. At least I hope not

A lot of what's taking place with engine manufacurers at the moment is due to misconceptions held by users about what an engine should or shouldn't have. One company has a static tube because their engines consistently require one so another person about to buy an engine gets the impression all engines should have one because his friends so and so does. With the Brillelli engines, they do not generally need one, but another high end engine from another manufacturer does. A lot of Brillelli sales are from people that used to have the high end engine but decided they wanted smoother transitions and a better mid range. So those cross over customers say something like "hey, my other engine had a diaphragm tube, why doesn't yours?". The accurate answer of "My engine is better and doesn't need one." puts some people off. So the easy way to deal with the question is to avoid it and add a tube to the cover that really doesn't serve much of a purpose, but quiets the masses. Some engines will run absolutely horrible with a tube so you have to be careful where you add one of the things.

The same thing happened when auto advance (retard?) ignitions hit the streets. Suddenly one manufacturer switched from mechanical to auto and made a claim that his engine ran better and stronger than engines with mechanical. Not true but people bought into it in droves, reducing sales numbers for manufacturers that still used the mechanical units. There was zero rationality to the claim of running better and stronger with the auto advance but other manufacturers had to make the change if they wanted to keep selling engines, because the consuming public believed the advertising hype.

The fact remains that the vast majority of gas engines, especially those piston ported, have not had any need of a diaphragm tube. I have six gassers at the house now and only one of them might benefit from a diaphragm tube in any installation they have been in. The one is a crap shoot since it has induction design defects. With one other engine I needed to place a cover over the diaphragm opening to deflect direct air pressure away. That was with a particular installation and when the engine was installed in a different plane there was no longer any need for the cover. A tube would have been massive over kill with potential issues of it's own.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I know that there is a niche for just about everyone and everything, but from Brillelli to Fuji, that's a bit of a downer don't you think. Oh oh, I forgot about the 'good price' part.

Karol.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: jstanton

Thanks guy's. I guess I'll try it first. I just hope I don't have a power loss when the plane goes airborne.
Jim,

Pat and Pe are right on this one! Don't create a problem where none exists. I have seen static lines cause problems when installed and not needed. Let your engine tell you if it needs one in flight.

Now I have seen this .... when an engine runs and tunes very different between having the cowl on or off, it might need a static line but not always. Pay particular attention to the cooling air exit on your cowl. As Pe has written many times, poor cooling airflow can cause a positive pressure in your cowl and this can be a cause of rough running as well as poor cooling. Read some of Pe's past posts about cooling as carb problems can often be caused by high cowl pressures .... caused by poor cooling air exit design.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
jstanton

OK! I'll trying flying the plane this weekend and I'll let you all know how it went. I have the engine running great on the plane in my test stand and I have taxi'ed it around my back yard and everything seems OK. I only ask the question because I have 4 Brillelli engines and all 4 have had this static nipple on the carb. I have run a static line on all 4 engines and each one has been a great running engine. The Fuji is the first gas engine I have owned that did not have a static nipple on the carb so that is why I ask the question. Thanks for everyone's help here.