Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Prop to cowl spacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
joseph185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop to cowl spacing

I posted this question in another forum and was answered 1 eighth inch. does this seem close ? What is the average space between the spinner plate and the cowl on a 50cc size Edge 540.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Bama
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Prop to cowl spacing

When I have a spinner that matches up to the cowl like an Edge does, I try to keep it as close as I can. I wouldn't go any more than 1/8", I sometimes even try to get it closer than that. On warbirds with a large radial cowl when I am spacing the prop from the cowl, I usually make it a little more, probably 1/4" to 3/8" since it isn't as critical to the appearance. I just think a spinner looks nicer when it is close to the cowl and perfectly lined up.
Hope this helps,
Alan
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because of the side thrust needed on the engine and the width of the cowl the clearance needs to be taken at the right hand side of the cowl between the cowl and prop, take into account any flexing of the prop and you will come out at about one eighth of an inch at this point, the spinner will be further forward if the cowl line is straight, if not eighth of an inch too the spinner on the right hand side is fine, I have done less in the past.

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM
joseph185

Thanks guys my problem is my muffler is hitting the engine box so I was wanting to go out a little further with the engine rather than cutting and reenforcing the engine box but I guess a little more work is worth a good appearance especially since I have over a hundred hours in the project already. Its a kit my 1st of this size.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of engine and muffler? You may want to use a muffler from a different manufacturer. I had a similar problem using a Taurus 3.2 and a J&A wrap around Pitts muffler. That muffler would at best clear the bottom of the engine box by 1/32". Changing to a Bisson wrap around provided another 1/2" of clearance.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joseph

You could always space the engine out to what you want and put a balsa/ply disc spacer on the cowl behind the spinner, sanded to the thrust line and painted, I have found its not worth trying to match the colour if its already painted, but put a contrasting colour on the disc or one of the other colours on the plane that is a close match but far engough away that any mismatch will not be noticed.

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
joseph185

Its a DA with a stocker and the bad part is the engine box is part of the airframe and I really hate to start hacking on this thing, I think I would sufice having a little more spacing than fool with the structural integrity of the planes frame, I only need 1/4 inch or so