Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

prop-spinner help please...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

prop-spinner help please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
2daysoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop-spinner help please...

What are some secrets of the trade for correctly trimming a spinner to match a prop... I have hacked up way to manny of them trying to get it right... any tips or tricks would be awesome...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
flipstart

Default RE: prop-spinner help please...

First of all the spinner cutout is not to touch the prop-so my cutouts are usually to accomodate several props-using the tru-turn profile cutout is helpful-make a pattern of the cutout-trace the cutout pattern on to the spinner, reversing for the opposite side and make sure each cutout is exactly opposite each other-if you have to cut out a circle pattern of spinner with diameter drawn so opposite sides can be marked. The cutouts should be centered on this diameter mark.
Cut a V with hacksaw or cut off wheel that removes most of excess material in each cutout. I use a large diamond cutter on high speed dremel to bring the cutout to edges of the lines drawn. Test fit often to make sure you are headed in right direction.

On a real expensive spinner, I once made a paper mache mold of the spinner and made the cutouts in that one first-just to make sure all was right, then transferred those cutouts to the original.

Not sure what problems you are having, but hope this helps. Patterns are secret to making/modding about any part-
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

go to your local Medards or haedweare store and buy a tool that copies wood trim modings(cant remember the name of it right off hand) It looks like a bar with some 50 or so long small rods going through the center bar. how its used is you push the tool against the curiture you was to copy and the curved surface is copied. Anyway,
Whe to got the tool place the prop on a flat surface and push the tool over the pitch of the prop,snf then copy the prop pitch on the spinner. I usually draw the pitch are to be cut out on a piece to painters tape and make sure both pieces of tape are centered. Once you have the tape centered on both sides of the spinner. Take a Dremmel tool with a sanding drum or a cuting wheel and cut out the area of the spinner to clear the prop.
Good luck, once you find the tool Im talking about and get the prop pitch transferred to the spinner, the worst part is over. Also you could place the spinner back plate and prop on the engine and use the tool to out line the prop pitch up against the back plate. that way you will had all the clearances for the transpoer tape, just make sure you allow the difference to the back plate.
You might want to check the DOD site they may still have the video on cutting a spiiner to fit a prop. The tool Im talkking about is used there.
NEDYOB
Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM
2daysoff

Thats what I was looking for... some ideas on getting the prop pattern. I usually have no problem making the cut out big enough. for the most part it ends up tooo big... Thanks for the idea on the trim molding... I will have to look into that..