Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ith 2 pags

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ith 2 pags

I searched the forum for head wobble and cam up two pages that didn't help.

Two weeks ago my heli would go crazy and spool up full throttle immediately. I ordered another esc and replaced it yesterday... wooohooo!!!

But, Prior to the original esc cooking itself when I spooled the bird up everything was very smooth. The heli would sit nearly in place and come up real nice, the tail would turn clockwise very slowly(normal). All thats changed was I took the blades off during the wait for parts and have put them back on now. They sat where nothing has dented or hurt them in any way.

Now when I start to spool up the head wobbles like crazy. The blades are loose enough that if I tip the bird on its side the blades stay in place but if I shake it very lightly the blades will drop down. What I have notice is the blade holders and linkages seems very sloppy meaning if I don't place the blades flat they will flop so that they pitch is all the way up or down. I don't recall it being this loose... all screws seem tight etc.

Now where should I be looking for the problem??

Thx

Opppss did it again... its a HBK2 a new one, never crashed, barely used
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
tbaus

Default RE: ith 2 pags

When you spool up all the way and look at the spinning blades in the same plane as the blades, how are they tracking? If they are tracking together in the same plane then you might just loosen up the blade holder screws a little bit and try again to see if it shakes on spool up. ( I am assuming it smooths out once spooled up.)
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
DumbDawg

It actually got more violent the more I spooled up so I'd have to back off. The blades were running in track and it was very smooth before. what could have happened with it just sitting there in my window to knock it out of whack??

Does the slop mean anything??

Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
tbaus

Wow! If it got more violent when spooling up then you've got me stumped it the heli was fine before and just sat there. It sounds like a bent feathering shaft or blades that are badly out of balance. You didn't put them on upside down or anything did you?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
DumbDawg

What about the head being so sloppy??? If I don't place the blades flat when plugging in the bat they will fall to a pitch totally up or down. are they supposed to be like this??

I'm rececking the blades for right sided upnesses : )
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
tbaus

I am not sure I am understanding that. If they fall to pitch totally up, it should be on one blade while the other blade is pitch totally down. I can do THAT to my heli by setting one of the blades out of alingment with the other across their axis. If both blades are going pitch totally up and you have the blades both on the same ( the leading edge of both blades facing clockwise for the clockwise rotation of the motor) then perhaps one of your linkages on your head have popped off.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
DumbDawg

Ok I just checked the blades and with a HBK2 you can't put them on upside down. And they aren't backwards.

Let me try and explain the head thing a bit better. If I align the blades with the heli body, place the blades flat as when waiting for servos to initialise. I can tip the blades so that they are no longer flat but tilte d(both) up or down. does this make sense. wish I had a vid camera.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
brac1960

I'm not sure i'm understanding what you mean for sure, but sounds like maybe you just have to tighten the nuts a little on the feathering shaft that hold the blade holders on ?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 PM
DumbDawg

Found my problem... DUH!!! I had made a small board with skid slots and I put a wieght on one end. To hold the bird in place when I plugged it in. I did this because before when the esc was fried the bird would go full throttle when plugged in. so this made it safer. If I leave the board in place theres a huge wobble without.. no wobble but a drift to the left.

GRound effects no??

And Thx for your help... but I'm still confused a bit about how loose the blades are. ..

They aren't loose on the holders and the holders are secured to the feathering shaft ok... no play. But if I take the blades and look at them down the blade from the tip. I can rock them back and forth to their full extremes, pointing up and down. The paddles move in the same direction too right. But the ease with which they can be rocked back and forth is what I'm asking about. And all the servo's are connected, nothing is hanging anywhere etc. So are they supposed to be this loose??
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
bkind

Quote (I can rock them back and forth to their full extremes, pointing up and down. The paddles move in the same direction too right. But the ease with which they can be rocked back and forth is what I'm asking about.)

Yes this is normal.

Brian
Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
DumbDawg

Thx bro... I appreciate it.... from another brian on the other side of canada... we've got both sides covered now... : )
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
tbaus

I agree with bkind completely... If you don't mind though, can you explain the board thing that caused the wobble. I can't quite picture it in my mind's eye... Thanks..