Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

tt01-which way?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tt01-which way?

so, i want to gear my tt01 with a 15t motor as best as possible.
right now i have 20/61, but it heats up the motor WAY to much
would 28/55 be better?
if im reading this graph right, then the 28/55 gearing is closer to a 1-1 ratio, which should lesson the load on the 15t motor, right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15219.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	916788  
Old 03-29-2008, 05:13 PM
TIGER76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tt01-which way?

Maybe try a higher gearing but that may cause more heat for the motor tho.
I run 23/58 on a 17t and run for 10mins then let it cool off before running again.
Most motors will heatup in use mine even bends the plastic fins under the mount lol
If you can keep your finger on the can after running for more than 3 secs you should be fine to run again if you cant then rest the motor for a bit
Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

im so lost, i know that i want gearing that will pu the least stain on the motor.
with 19/61(the only gears i have right now) the motor was to hot to touch in 4 minutes.
the car took several seconds to speed up, and i dont think the motor was able to fully spool up and thats what caused it to get so hot.
i need to figure out what gearing will let the motor spin at top rpms.
maybe 25/55.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

does anyone know what the other numbers, between the pinion gear and spur gear numbers mean?
im thinking that those numbers are supossed to help me pick the right gearing[&:]
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM
TIGER76

The standard gearing 19/61 will give you good pullaway but suffer on top speed,the 28/55 will give great top speed but poor pullaway.
The low gearing could be straining your 15t motor causing it to overheat,BUT over gearing it could cause it too over heat too lol jeez am i helping lol
I would try around the middle maybe 23/58 and see how you do,but remember most mod motors like your 15t will get heated quick but running a taller gearing may help with your heat problem.
If your getting alot of heat on that motor while using the standard gearing 19/61 then somethings very wrong!!which esc are you using?if its the standard tamiya ESC thats your problem,there safe down to a 17-19 turn ive found
Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

no, no tamiya esc. im using a traxxas xl5 esc, and 3300 matched pack.
i may just have to spend some cash and buy more gears, then mix and match till i get something that works better.
the gearing i have run heated up in 4 minutes, but it was 25degrees outside. in the summer, there is no way i can use the same gearing. it will kill my motor.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 PM
TIGER76

Grab the 22/23 pinion pack and go from there
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

does anyone know what the other numbers, between the pinion gear and spur gear numbers mean?
im thinking that those numbers are supossed to help me pick the right gearing[&:]
If your talking about the 7.93 and such then that is your final drive ratio. Spur T / pinion t * transmission ratio = final drive ratio. In this case 55/28*2.6=5.11. The lower the final number the higher top end, the higher the number the quicker exceleration. In your first post you mentioned the 5.11 being closer to a 1:1 ratio. While this is accurate for a final drive ratio, it doesn't neccessarily mean its the optimum setting. Ideally you would want a 1:1 ratio between the final drive ratio and calculated rollout. This is supposed to be the optimum gear setting. I don't remember off the top of my head how to calculate rollout but if you do a search you can find it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ill need to buy some new pinions anyway, i just stripped the pinion and spur gear. it goes, but under the load of sharp turns or braking they slip.