Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

best 10th scale onroad nitro

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:41 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 10th scale onroad nitro

Make sure you tune them the same, and everything gear wise is equal.

anyways when people buy serpents or mugens, they tend to order 2 kits for back ups, thats why they are serious race cars. and everybody knows that if you buy a car that isnt locally stocked, you stock up yourself on parts that you need, they are cheapre on the internet anyways.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 PM
madf1man

WOW you guys really get wound up about this stuff.Sorry for my questions I, m just cautious.Okay now to the mugen guys wound up,I went to there web site and noticed that they offer a shaft drive car.How does that compare to the others,quility wise,reliabilty,and tuneabilty.How about getting parts for it compared to the serpent.Please try to answer these questions without freaking out.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:50 AM
caseyddr

Its mugen, which is only second to serpent. Another brand that is VERY high quality (But you pay every penny of the quality) is Tamiya, check out the TGR.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:07 AM
kevetz99
My Feedback: (3)

that car is very similar to the HPI RS4 3 RTR. Just about the same, but if you want that mugen, then just get the HPI, cause you will have better parts availability.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:19 AM
rogers259

heh sorry man its kinda like the whole ford, chev, dodge thing everyone has an opinion and everyones not always gona agree. As for the mugen MSX-3 I took a look at it and it looks good for a starter but i think after looking into it I think you'll find that it might rate more toward the HPI's. I think will have to wait to see how it turns out. If you look at the pics they have on their website they show a pic of the chassis and F&R suspension w/ the shaft drive. Reminds me alot of what Ofna was doing in some of their 1/8 offroad cars (which was my first car) I had nothing but trouble w/ getting the diffs right and getting the braking to work correctly.

If you compare the Serpant 705, NTC3 and MSX-3 side by side, just from the pictures, the Serpant and NTC3 look like they would hold up better. I just dont think that the MSX-3 is gona be as durable as the 705 or the NTC3. Like I said before I had a MTX-3 and my major beef w/ it was the fact i was always busting front arms from clipping a corner, that and i had a hard time finding parts.

One thing i want to add...

CaseyDDR...I went out and raced tonight had a guy w/ a 705 racing. For grins and giggle we put our two down and had it out. Both of us were running our mugen turbo's we both had JR and our gearing after he changed his was the same. his car was faster in the straights, I had better cornering and we were both turning in lap times that were with in several seconds of each other...as we werent out to see who would win I cant add that but I can say that a well tuned 705 will hang if not outpreform a NTC3 due probably to weight. Good call sorry i douted u.

madf1man... one more thing a guy mentioned back at the begining of this string that u might want to look at the Trinity Reflex NT. I would like to second that. Had a guy that was at the track tonight that had the team kit ($650 ish for the kit) I believe that it came with every hopup possible for that price. And this guy was smoking me with it. My car is fast but this guy was pulling past me like i was dringing a VW bug and he was in a porsche.
check out the link and judge for urself but for what u get for your money it looked sharp and was fast to boot.

http://www.teamtrinity.com/cars/reflexntteam.asp
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 AM
j.d.roxx

Another great car is the GS Vision Pro, everything the Mugen has but with a 4mm chassis(Mugen is 3mm), and universals instead of dogbones, and it costs $200 bucks. And another thing, Serpent and Mugen both have team drivers and at the Florida Nats a NTC3 took first ahead of Serpents, Mugens, Trinity, and GS. Its kinda funny, everybody that doesnt have a NTC3 dogs them, but the NTC3 keeps on winning races. Me, myself, i have a Vision. But anyways, if you have loads of money get what YOU think is best because that is all that matters, you and your driving skill! You really cant go wrong with any of the cars listed above, but if money is a issue get whatever your lhs supports. If they support Mugen, get the Mugen, if they support AE, get the NTC3, and so on and so on. Shipping costs add-up, and waiting for parts suck.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:04 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by rogers259
If you compare the Serpant 705, NTC3 and MSX-3 side by side, just from the pictures, the Serpant and NTC3 look like they would hold up better. I just dont think that the MSX-3 is gona be as durable as the 705 or the NTC3. Like I said before I had a MTX-3 and my major beef w/ it was the fact i was always busting front arms from clipping a corner, that and i had a hard time finding parts.

One thing i want to add...

CaseyDDR...I went out and raced tonight had a guy w/ a 705 racing. For grins and giggle we put our two down and had it out. Both of us were running our mugen turbo's we both had JR and our gearing after he changed his was the same. his car was faster in the straights, I had better cornering and we were both turning in lap times that were with in several seconds of each other...as we werent out to see who would win I cant add that but I can say that a well tuned 705 will hang if not outpreform a NTC3 due probably to weight. Good call sorry i douted u.

http://www.teamtrinity.com/cars/reflexntteam.asp
within seconds, u were that far behind? Lol anyways the Mugen is the same design (lamen terms) as the Serpent, and they are the 2 cmopared with each other, the NTC3 is 1 step down.. Like most ppl say, its 70% driver 30% car, thats why you have to take the cars out YOURSELF and see how much of a difference there is. And if his wasnt handling corners very well, he ahd it tuned wrong
Old 05-01-2003, 03:09 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by j.d.roxx
Another great car is the GS Vision Pro, everything the Mugen has but with a 4mm chassis(Mugen is 3mm), and universals instead of dogbones, and it costs $200 bucks. And another thing, Serpent and Mugen both have team drivers and at the Florida Nats a NTC3 took first ahead of Serpents, Mugens, Trinity, and GS. Its kinda funny, everybody that doesnt have a NTC3 dogs them, but the NTC3 keeps on winning races. Me, myself, i have a Vision. But anyways, if you have loads of money get what YOU think is best because that is all that matters, you and your driving skill! You really cant go wrong with any of the cars listed above, but if money is a issue get whatever your lhs supports. If they support Mugen, get the Mugen, if they support AE, get the NTC3, and so on and so on. Shipping costs add-up, and waiting for parts suck.
AE drivers = spoiled, simple as that, AE give shtem WHATEVER THEY NEED + SOME to win. Plus they have some of the best drivers.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:11 AM
rogers259

Now Cassey i didnt say i was the one behind He was having issues with it wanting to pull out on him in the turns i dont think he had his front shocks set right. that and I have a tendencey to run my engines a little rich especially the turbo. I witnessed a blown engine and it wasnt pretty...so i tune rich on purpose...either way it did give me a pretty good perspective on the 705.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:13 AM
caseyddr

See if they will let you drive it, that way you can have the same exact driving skills and such around the same track, thats wher eyou will see the true difference.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:33 AM
j.d.roxx

True Casey, AE drivers get whatever they want, but remember at sanctioned events every car is subject to the same rules whether it be AE, Mugen, Trinity, etc, etc.....and ALL of the sponsored drivers are extremely talented, look at the Mugen driver Kenji, he is also great at 1/8 buggies, it just seems that the NTC3 is getting the topspot at races. But the Mugen is catching up fast, really FAST!
Old 05-01-2003, 03:36 AM
caseyddr

Doesn't say much for serpent drivers though, becuase they have the best TC Out :O the 705...
Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 AM
InsanoChicken

So from what I have been reading it seems serpent is superior. What do you think about the serpent 950. I only think this would be a good choice because it sounds like casey knows his stuff. Please give feedback.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:30 PM
kevetz99
My Feedback: (3)

Default Serpent 950

The serpent 950 is an 1/8 scale car, so it is much bigger than the common 1/10 scalers. I would only get an 1/8 scale if they race them around you. 1/10 scale is usualy more common for racing nearby.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:51 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

i live in florida....and i know one of the managers that work for serpent.....they are expensive but they are good cars
Old 05-18-2003, 08:05 PM
InsanoChicken

Is Tamiya's cars better than Serpent's? I was thinkin about gettin the Serpent 705.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:28 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

rofl casey know shis stuff rofl rofl

naw just kidding.

im buying an one road...i dont care which won races i dont care which driver is for what team. i care that (1) i like the manufacturer and the car set up (2) i like the parts my lhs has IN STOCK (3) when i go bashing there is 5 tc3's.

you guys say no lhs uspport is no big deal ? ask rcharry or myself about parts for a GS storm.

when i go meet others it'd be nice to whip out the same exact car and have mine so bad ass i whoop their pants off.

sure i like to be different, thats why i own a storm and everyone else has a ofna or mugen, but when i make my choice for on road it will be the tc3 and based 0% on this thread.

for all you people asking wat should i get why dont you just open up your wallet and buy something already.
this hobby is a money anyway you look at it so even if you dont like the car hock it.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:01 PM
madf1man

Default trinity reflex

For those intreseted I went with reflex team only.I bought it used and had some issues to repair.The first time a ran it it broke twice.Had to wait on parts and now seems like an awesome car.I,ve never driven one so fast wish we had a better track.Tuning seems easy enough and handles well.Its a big change from electric touring.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:05 AM
gsferrari

Default Type SS doesnt race very well...

And its not because of the car...

Almost all tracks that I have raced on have short straights, more than 6 major turns and are more poke and go than anything else.

The Type SS has a .12 Engine that hits 35K rpm and unfortunately the full 1.26hp hits the tarmac at around 30K rpm

This leaves you searching for torque at lower rpm's and the peeps were just walking past me at the exits of each turn...i'd catch up with them on the straight with the 12RSS screaming and even brake later (Type SS has awesome braking with the Fiber Disk Brake) and turn in earlier...but then the whole effort gets undone because of non-existent torque at the lower end of the revs...

The Type SS I have has not been modded...stock and only switched to race spec tires and free flow air filter (a must have!!).

It didnt fare too badly on the tracks which are more point and squirt...I havent won a race (more because there are better drivers out there) yet but I have managed 3's and 4's and even one pole at an event in Germany...

They're not bad - but they're not the best...They could be the best but it'll cost ya $$$ in mods...
Old 05-24-2003, 12:49 PM
melonracer

Try a Kyosho V-one R. That's what I have been racing for about a year and have done really well with it.
Later,
Jason
Old 05-24-2003, 01:07 PM
gsferrari

V-One R looks attractive... I'm out of 1/10th scale now - my car is up for sale here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...15&forumid=227

Im into 1/5th scale drift racing when I go to Germany and Japan. Not too many 1/5th pros here to race against and im just recovering from getting my ass kicked by a japanese dude who picked up the Bergonzoni I sold (because I couldnt win in it) and beat me with my new technokit !!

I was pretty pissed...

The trouble with the Type SS is mainly under braking mid corner (swap ends unless you're good at the wheel) and accellerating out of corners...

You can negate this by taking a defensive line out of the corner but honestly...how long can you block someone before he bumps you??

Down the straight the Type SS with the Navarossi engine hits 75m.p.h (not my kit) and there are very few cars out there that can touch it....