Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

58" monohull mould

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

58" monohull mould

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
gazworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58" monohull mould

thanks to steve marshal for the 48" monohull plans i have managed to put together a slightly bigger monohull mould of 58"

next step is to cover with body filler and sand back to right shape
any info on this would be appreciated and will keep posting a.s.a.p
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 58" monohull mould

Whats it made form mate? looks like you dont have many curves there? all those angles are going to be a pita to bondo and sand to get the right shape. The best way would have been to make it to the right shape to begin with? nice curves where needed then fill any areas that need it and sand smooth then primer and paint or gelcoat ?.Just trying to save you some hard work,you might think youve saved time making the shape as you have but in my opinion youve added to the task as i dont think you will be able to get it to shape the way you suggest without a lot of filler and hard work sorry .Good luck with it though,seems like everyones making moulds from these plans lateley.
Mart
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 AM
gazworth

thanks mart i know i have made myself alot of work but i have done a lot of looking into this and im going to fill it with plaster of paris and shave it to get the right angles and curves,then gelcoat and use some sort of wax to seperate fibreglass from mould as im having trouble finding the right stuff. i have done alot of fibreglassing before but usually on the real deal, i also do have a lot of time up my sleaves and this is only my first mould i have made all in all its keeping me busy and stopping my son from driving me up the wall......lol oh yeah its made of 1/8'' very cheap mdf so yes its a real throw together and good fun
Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Not trying to criticize, but that definately should have been curved with your wood to begin with. MDF? at 1/8", that stuff should almost bend TOO easily. Definately have created more work for youself if your trying round off all your angles. Why didn't you cut the pieces out as printed?
If you are really considering making a mold, theres more to it than just "using some sort of wax". You need a PERFECTLY smooth plug, polished to perfection..as every defect will show through, at least 10 coats of a high content carbuna wax, mold release spray, wax intended for molds, microballoons, or micro fibers, wax free resins, 1oz matting, 2oz matting.....layers of layers of 6oz... Do more homework before attempting this, you'll have less headaches. Did you see my 50" plug / glass hull making thread? Theres at least 20 hours alone just in prep work before I gelcoated, and 5 hrs of sanding/buffing and still not good enough yet for me. No plaster was used, and very minimal Bondo....only on my strakes to blend them into the hull. My hull is now artwork.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bloody hell mate im tired just reading your reply hehe [X(],if i need a mould ill know where to come .
Mart