Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

A good beginner car

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 AM
ssoslot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good beginner car

Hey

In my municipality there is some sort of youth project where youngsters can learn some new hobbies. I have ended up as the teacher on a RC-car building class. It is my first time so my questions are.

Can anybody suggest a good onroad + carpet beginnercar??? I have been looking at the Tamiya TT-01, it seems like a nice car but it is fitted with a shaft drive. I have heard that it is not as good as beltdrive on carpets.
I am from Denmark so it would be nice if you could mention some cars, i am not sure what i can get.

Thanks and best regards from
Søren Andersen
Denmark
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
mkoresh12

Default RE: A good beginner car

I haven't raced carpet so I can't speak to shaft vs belt in that respect. The things that make the TT01 a good beginner car is that they are inexpensive, have plenty of parts support and easy to work on. The cons are that they are not very adjustable(out of the box), no ball bearings, and can cost alot to get them to be ok racers. I would only race a TT01 against other TT01s. Belt cars typically designed to be racers and usually have atleast ball bearings and adjustable suspensions. The chassis layout usually gives better weight distribution. They can also be more difficult to build for beginners. However, anyone who can follow instruction and turn a screwdriver should be able to build one.

So heres my advice. Find out whats easily available to you first. If you plan to race is it going to be at a local track or just the people in your group? If its your own group you can set your own rules. If its someone elses rules find out what they are and what other people are using. Since there are multiple people involved find out what people can afford(or you if your providing the kits). Kits can range from 75-500 easily.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
rcluke

Tamiya TA-05 for a belt drive - if you are thinking of racing. It is a bit hard to work on for a novice though.
Tamiya TB-02 for a prop drive - good for bashing, and then going on to racing. It is easier to work on than the 05.
Tamiya TT-01 for a cheap, cheerful prop drive - not very good for racing, but good for bashing, and VERY easy to work on.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
ssoslot

Hey again

Thanks for the advice. I think I will look for the TB-02 or the TA-05.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM
ssoslot

By the way.

Do any of you know this car. I found it on my local dealers homepage:

1:10 RTR Extreme Touring Car

The manufacturer is somthing called Extreme. It is supposed to be a new car on the dansih marked.
I have found it here: www.rcedge.dk
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ssoslot
Can anybody suggest a good onroad + carpet beginnercar??? I have been looking at the Tamiya TT-01, it seems like a nice car but it is fitted with a shaft drive. I have heard that it is not as good as beltdrive on carpets.
That is only at the higher levels of racing. A novice won't be able to tell the difference between belt and shaft drive.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
mydartswinger

If [link=http://830919.shop12.eseller.dk/pi/1_10_RTR_Extreme_Touring_Car_2923_71.aspx]this[/link] is the car you speak of, I don't know anything about it, but from the pictures, it looks to be somewhat similar to an Associated TC3/TC4 (shaft drive 4wd, similar placement of batteries and electronics). The TC3/TC4 are very good cars, not the easiest to work on, but very durable and can be competitive racers at all but the highest levels. Good luck in your choice.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
rytst

Hello,
Somebody tell opinion about this car.. Is it good for beginner??

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Radio-Contr...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 PM
The Mad Modder

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
rytst

About 100$.. but I think this rc isn't too bad because the price is good for rtr.. and I think that I can use Tamiya parts for it..
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: rytst

Hello,
Somebody tell opinion about this car.. Is it good for beginner??

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Radio-Contr...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.
If you''re looking at this one, I''d suggest going with the HBX Skyline instead. It''s upgradeable with TL01 parts and it''s cheap - you can get them online from various sellers and on ebay for about $100 plus shipping. Do a search on YouTube for HBX Skyline and you''ll get an idea of how they perform. A lot of people look down on these, but in my opinion, they''re good for a beginner (like me).
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM
rytst

Thanks