Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Battery took a huge charge!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Battery took a huge charge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Reeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery took a huge charge!

Hi guys. I'm a picc pro pilot but have a silghtly off topic question about a new receiver battery I charged and since everyone in this group deals with the intricacies of charging batteries all the time I thought I'd give it a shot.

The battery is a 4.8v 1400mAh NiCd graupner pack for a 60 sized heli I have. I put in on the Robbe Ultimate charger at 0.2 A for its first charge. It took in 2000 mA before I took it off charge. What gives man? The charger did not get a peak from the pack. The charger is an excellent unit, same as a supernove/triton(minus the lithium modes) and it has never missed a peak before. Are new packs different ?

Hope someone can help.

Reeb
Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Dodgey99

Perhaps because it is trickle charging it will go on for ever?

I thought that was the idea of trickle charging... not to use peak detection so that each cell can reach it's own peak and then because the charge current is so low , it can go on "over charging" without getting hot, whilst the rest of the cells catch up. Once all that is done, the low current charge simply keeps the pack topped up?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Reeb

Yes but won't a "computer" charger always detect a peak and switch off ? For trickle charging I usually use a standard charger which has no cutoff for balancing cells.

It was charging at 200mA which is higher than the 1/10 charge rate for the cells too .

Hmm
Old 05-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Dodgey99

That's about the limit of my battery charging knowledge

I would say this - My TX pack is 600Mah and when I charge it it takes about 860Mah.

If they don't get hot then no harm is being done...
Old 05-07-2003, 04:21 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Im no battery/charger guru so Im just going to throw out some possibilities.
- Is it possible that your charger doesnt peak detect below a certain charge rate?
- Is it possible that your pack has a higher capacity than the label suggest? Mis-labeled?

Even counting inefficiencies during charging my math says it should have probably peaked at 1680-1750 mah.

Cheers.
James

Just thought of something else. Even though the pack is new could it have a bad cell?