Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight on the Radiocraft 33% Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Maiden flight on the Radiocraft 33% Extra

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight on the Radiocraft 33% Extra

All i can say is wow it flew great. Up front a Brison 6.4 twin swinging a Carbon prop 26/10. All Hitec digitals 5945s on a I4c Batt isolator system with redundant 6volt 2700 Metal packs for servos and a 4.8 1000 metal pack running receiver . Using the Jr 8103 with 955 receiver got a range check of plus 250 feet with no lock up at that distance. Performs glitch free with the isolator system and the plane flies very lite. Only got 3 flights on it today before it started raining but more tomorrow. Plane landed like a trainer with no bad habits at all. Performed some basic manuvers today because of cloud cover and tomorrow will try out the TME smoke sytem which puts out gobs of smoke from the twin stacks. I am a happy camper tonite. BRuce
Old 05-07-2003, 06:39 PM
DOCWATSN

Hey BRuce!!! Glad to hear about your RC Extra!!! Any pictures???

I too have a RC Extra that I've been setting on for about 2 years now and have finally started to finish it up. I've got a DA-100 on the way , a pile of JR-8411 servos , an I4C BATTERY ISOLATOR (these little guys are awesome!!!). Just started covering my baby this weekend...it's looking very good!!!

Couple of questions for ya...

Were the leading edges of your horizontal stabs shaped like a rounded triangle? Look at your main wing's leading edge...it's nice and round and smooth...but the horizontal stabs have a rounded leading edge then a flat section about 1/4 to 1/2 inch then a nice round into the airfoil. Is mine the only one like this or is this the way yours is too?

Did you double up the aileron servos? 5945 are pretty strong servos (150ozs) and on 6V...wow!!!

What contol horns did you use? I can't find the RocketCity #10 anywhere.

Did you mod your rudder...add any height to the top of it? I thought I read on the Yahoo Group about Branwell adding 2" to the top of his to reduce the pitch/roll coupling.

Weight???

Did you replace the landing gear or wing tubes with carbon fiber? If so what did you use and weight savings.

Did you 3D her? How did she perform?

Thanks for the info in advance!!! Good Luck with your Radiocraft Extra 330LX!!!

-DRW
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

DOC,

I can answer a few of your questions. I am running a single JR 8411 in each wing and I have plenty of aileron response (roll rate does not slow down with increased airspeed). I used rocket city control horns (#10 on elevators, #8 on ailerons) and you can buy them from several sources, but my favorite is Aeroprotect, Corp. Don't have his website handy right now, but I'll try to find it.

I haven't added any height to the rudder. My flies with about 12% up elevator and about 3-5% aileron in knife edge. The rudder authority on this plane is amazing. I have a single Hitec 5735 on pull-pull and it will KE loop in a heartbeat.

Mine weighs 27 lbs. with KS cans, an Air Models 26X12 3-blade prop, carbon spinner, single receiver, and 2-1650 mAh NiMH 5-cell receiver batteries. I have a single 4-cell 1400 mAh NiCd on ignition. DA-100 for power.

I would NOT replace the landing gear with carbon. I did that and while you can save some weight, the design of the gear (inside that fuselage slot) is very intolerant to gear flex. I wound up breaking the fuse formers a couple of times before I gave up on them and now have the stock aluminum gear in it. I am not the only person to have this problem.

To find your CG, take off the wings, insert the wingtube, flip the plane over on its back and support it by the tube. The plane should hang in a slightly nose-down attitude. This was recommended to my by Ryan Taylor as his perferred setup. I find it to be very easy to fly precision with this CG. Not sure about the CG for 3D yet.

I flew this plane very competitively in Advanced IMAC last year and am just starting some 3D stuff. This plane is capable of both precision and 3D without a doubt.

Finish yours up and you will be rewarded with a really light flying, fun airplane. There is a pic of mine in my photo gallery if you are interested. Also, check out the RadioCraft Yahoo Group. Lots of info and pictures there.

Enjoy!
Ken
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 PM
DOCWATSN

Nice looking RC Extra Ken!!! I bet your DA100 sounds really nice with the KS cans and the 3 bladed prop!!! Thanks for the good info. I'm getting really excited about finishing mine!!!

27 lbs seem like it's a little heavy. How are your super slow landings??? Does it ever want to tip stall on you??? I'm probably dreaming, but I was hoping for my RTF weight to be 24lbs or less. I saw Branwell had his at 22lbs.

I see that your running 6V NiMH batteries on the receiver/servos and a 4.8V NiCd battery on the ignition. Are 4 cell NiMH batteries not recommended for use on the ignition?

I'm planning to use a single 8411 on each aileron and 6V NiMH batteries...but I was worried about that big aileron and the 8411 gear slop after a few months of flying. Have you had to change out your gears yet? Did the gear slop cause any problems. Am I getting worried over nothing???

Please post the link of the RocketCity Control Horns. Please...

Thanks Ken!!!
-DRW
Old 05-07-2003, 09:23 PM
rcplanefan

DOC,

Thanks for the compliments. It is a great flying airplane--probably has 300 or more flights by now. Yes, the engine sounds great--when you can hear it. Better hope nobody else is flying, because if they are, you can't tell it's running. In fact, 4 point rolls on the deck and you can hear the servos moving!

27 pounds is actually very light with the DA and the cans and 3-blade. There just isn't anything else in it. Keep in mind that Branwell had a BME, wooden prop, no cans, and no wheel pants. It flies extremely light--never even a hint of a tip-stall and it lands at a walk. You can't make this plane act heavy at this weight.

You can run a 4-cell NiMH on ignition if you want. If I were doing it over, I would use a 5-cell NiMH on ignition--same as the receiver packs. That is what I am doing in my new 40% plane, and I have no problems. When I built the plane, I was worried about excessive current drain from the ignition, but I really think I was worried over nothing. Run a 5-cell pack, though, as it can only help.

As for the 8411's and the 6v NiMH, mine did develop slop, but only after a couple hundred flights. Keep in mind that I was only flying precision stuff, so your mileage may vary. It didn't cause any problems, and I had the gears replaced at the end of last season. Good as new again.

For the Rocket City control horns try Aeroprotect at:

http://www.aeroprotect.com/

Super nice guy and quick delivery. Feel free to ask any more questions--you have a great plane ready to be flown!

Ken
Old 05-07-2003, 10:15 PM
DOCWATSN

Thanks again Ken!!! Man you're on the ball with your replies today!!!

Very good with the link...I was wondering where to buy those. I had heard that RocketCity was no more. Guess I heard wrong.

If I run 6V NiMH batteries on the DA ignition that comes with the DA100, must I install a 6V regulator? Will the ignition tolerate this higher battery voltage? As you know a freshly charged 5cell NiMH pack is around 7V. Keeping all the batteries the same number of cells will make charging easier. No chance of charging a 5-cell as a 4-cell or visa versa...I've done this before and lose a plane because of it.

Do you have a website with more pics of your Radiocraft Extra? I've checked out the Yahoo group pictures, but I want to see MORE!!!

What 40% plane do you have?

-DRW
Old 05-07-2003, 10:45 PM
rcplanefan

DRW,

Sorry, no website with pictures. Just what is on the Yahoo site. No problem running a 5-cell pack on the ignition. It doesn't need to be regulated. This is what most guys do. I was just trying to save a little weight. But it is a pain to make sure you have the right charging jack plugged into the right receptacle. Just make them all the same, and charging is nearly brainless.

My new plane for this year is a 40% Carden Extra with a DA-150. Got about 20 flights on it so far, and I'm still dialing it in. What a great flying plane, though. I've attached a picture because you seem interested. Gotta love this hobby!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76668_12224.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	45523  
Old 05-08-2003, 03:43 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

The leading edges on stab are the same as the leading edges on the wing not sure what you mean the weight is unknown i just fly the plane dont worry about weight the hitec 5945s are 180 oz each on 6 volt pack they are plenty good just one per side i havent 3 d with it yet but it hovers at 1/3 throttle with the Brison the da is stronger so it wont be a problem i got the rocket city 10 size horns at Nelson Hobbies i am sure you will like the plane Bruce
Old 05-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Ken....

Be careful with that RC while you are learning 3D.....

Pugs
Old 05-12-2003, 12:44 AM
rcplanefan

Pugs, Not to worry

DOC,

Found this site with more pictures. Hope this helps!

http://monafamily.com/construction.html

Ken