Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/3 Pitts pics

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes 1/3 Pitts pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:03 AM
rameleni1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 1/3 Pitts pics

I am thinking of buying one of these. The problem is the size, and if it will fit in my car. I have fit planes with 72" wingspand no problem. I am worried about the size of the fuse of the pitts. Does anyone have any pics of their built plane, with something in the backround for scale?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:43 AM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

I'll try to get some pics next week if you can wait. Don't have a digital camera so will have to get them developed. I'll take one with it next to a 60/90 size Yellow Aircraft Cap232. The fuse isn't real long but it is pretty massive. Our Pitts was structurally complete when we got it. Took two midsize cars to haul it home, lol. BTW, It is the eye catcher everyone says it is.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:51 AM
rameleni1
My Feedback: (10)

Default Pitts

I think I'm going to hold off buying the Pitts, untill I get a truck. I would still like to see the pics of your plane. Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:04 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

rameleni1

You bring up a good question. This is a big bulky airplane and a bear if you have to assemble each time you go to the field. Truthfully, for me , it takes no less than 45 minutes to assemble the lower and the upper wings, including each interplane strut. ( time includes preflight check, range check and just getting everything ready) This requires 10, 440 machines screws, washers and safety nuts. I even use socket heads for speed and find it still takes time. I have a trailer, but it's not wide enough to sit the airplane in on the gear. I have to put it in sideways with the tail up and the cowling resting on soft foam. I then use bungee cords to hold in place. A bigger trailer wouldn't fit in the garage I really do prefer transporting fully assembled, but as stated, this requires a trailer, big pick-up, or big van. Not sure even a van would work fully assembled. One last thought. This is my first biplane. Everyone I talk with tells me that the assembly process is the biggest hassle with all BIP's. Just comes with a biplane.

Even with this added issue, I really do like the airplane though.
Heres a picture that may give you an idea of the fully assembled finished product. That said, I wouldn't want to transport in a standard sized car if avoidable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77427_11582.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	45526  
Old 05-11-2003, 12:00 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Yep the transportation thing is the biggist draw back for me to. I hate the idea of keeping my planes in the trailer, especially here in Indiana. Maybe a hanger would be a logical choice? (ha, ha)
JEB

Very nice plane!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Vicster
My Feedback: (8)

In response to your problem of assembling the GP 1/3 Pitts and trnsporting it. I can't believe it takes you 45 min! I have a Honda Accord and take mine to the field with my car. All I do is 1) remove the landing gear- 4 bolts 2) remove upper wing leaving the cabane strut attached and the two wing struts- 8 2-56 bolts.
3) remove lower wing 2 bolts. Unplug servo wires for wings, and put in car. At the field it is ready to fly in 15 min or less. It takes less time to assemble that my Carden 40% Cap or my AreoWorks
33% Edge. Good luck and happy flying, Vic