Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RS 4 Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Blacksheep-J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS 4 Ride Height

I recently got into RC cars when a local online RC store sold a beginner RTR Nitro buggy by Exceed RC for $99.00. Couldnt pass it up and bought two of them. Off road was fun but too messy. I started driving in parking lots and found if I drove a circuit or created a track it was a lot more fun trying to hone my driving skills. I replaced the buggy body with a truck body (that looks like my full scale ride)and bought some street tires. It was fun but rolled over a lot. I also didnt like the way the wheels stuck out from the body. I decided I like onroad racing and after reading several posts decided to buy the HPI RS4 RTR 3 EVO +. I'm also a Camaro fan and Bought and painted a very nice Chev Camaro SS body (it looks too good so I didnt cut the cooling holes in it yet). Been driving the nice 350Z body it came with. I soon found out that even a smooth LOOKING parking lot can be brutal on the very low chasis. I'm thinking maybe I should have got the rally car,because one of the parking lots I drive in has a mild speed bump thats kinda cool to drive over. Anyway having said all that( sorry for the long intro) My question is does the HPI rally car shocks work on the on-road chasis and will it raise the ride height without having to change any other suspension components or geometry?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Blacksheep-J

Default RE: RS 4 Ride Height

OK Nevermind,............
Although HPI discontinued the RS4 rally cars, TowerHobbies still sell the shock arms and springs. I'll give them a try and see if they give me a little more ground clearance without affecting the handling too much.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Flaming Tire

Hold on.

Don't do that yet. You can change the ride height a few different ways without doing a dramatic change like that.

Look at your shocks from either the front or the back of your car. Do you see all the different mounting locations for the shocks to mount to? Play with the shock location. You should be able to double the stock RS4 ride height from nearly nothing to about half an inch.

You also may have to buy the ride height clips that clip onto the shocks. That will also raise the car.

Just play around with it before you change the car. My first RS4 has a scratched chassis because I didn't know how to set the car up two years ago. My other two RS4's have pratically brand new chassis, even though there nearly a year old...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Blacksheep-J

Thanks for the reply Flame, I will try playing with the shock mounting locations. Unfortunately
some parts of the bottom of my chasis already looks like its been sanded and polished. Also must have picked up a pebble and damaged the pinon gears which also could have been a result of the low ride height.
I will also try the spring pre-load spacers. I believe they are avail at my LHS.

Again, appreciate the response !