Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp-Arf Repair

Do any of you guys know if the Comp-Arf plains are layed up using Polyester or Epoxy resin? Mine arrived with some shipping damage and I have decided to repair it. It is a crack about 4 inches long on the bottom edge mostly under the trailing edge. I am not gonna try to refinish the area because I doubt that I can match the paint..instead I will attempt to touch up the area and simply let it go since it won't be "that" visible under the wing. Naturally it's the Shulman scheme so a complete refinish job is out of the question.

Thanks,
Leardriver
Old 05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Falcon12514
My Feedback: (1)

Default Comp-Arf Repair

I don't think I would try a repair, just return it and get a new one, John
Old 05-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default Comp-Arf Repair

LearDriver... why don't you send it back to Composite Arf and have them replace it? You definately don't want a defective product
Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 AM
Leardriver

Default Comp-Arf Repair

To be honest..I have waited for this damn plane since February and I would actually like to fly it this summer some time. that is one of the reasons I decided to go with a Comp-Arf...cause I could get it in the air fairly quickly <g>.

I actually knew about the Comp-Arf thing back in Feb but was told I had to wait until the web site was operational on March 23. Ok..I did, but my Rep (who was away when the site opened up and couldn't offer any guidance at the time) decided to back out considering the Planes Plus controversy and some other issues. In the middle of all this, apparently my order was canceled inadvertently when the rep resigned (or whatever happpened) and by the time I got hooked up with Bob Saddler the airplane was now out of stock and I had to wait until April 25...which turned into May 3rd...which finally ended up at my door on May 13.

Andreas replied to me yesterday and is willing to do several things for me, but if I want to get another plane I have to wait (AGAIN) until sometime in June! Now what will that translate into...prob sometime in July before I see it and who knows what I will end up with. And...I have to go away in July (for work related training) so who knows when the plane will actually get into the air...in short my flying season is flying by without me.

So, my other option, as laid out by Andreas, is to accept the airplane and receive a "credit" toward whatever by Comp-Arf, or simply wait. I would be willing to possibly go with a "House" scheme if it was avail but I don't think is in stock either. So if I keep this plane I may use this"credit" and try and buy a white one (which I think is in stock) and get it flying...than attempt the repair on the Shulman.

I want to make something very clear here, Andreas and Comp-Arf are not being difficult here. I believe that he wants to do whatever it takes to get me in the air and he is definitely willing to work with me. If I want to wait I am certain I would receive a new plane. If I choose to fix this one they are willing to discount the plane accordingly. Overall I believe he is gonna do whatever he can to help me out and win my business. I really wanted make this clear so guys don't misconstrue what I am saying here. The only thing that is really complicating things is the fact that everyone is at Joe Knall and I can't actually get hold of my rep or anyone to talk with directly...it's all been through email so it's been slow going. But as I said. I am sure it will get figured out.

So......is it Polyester or Epoxy resin <g>?

Leardriver
Old 05-15-2003, 02:18 AM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

Default *

was it shipping damage or an area that delaminated????

you also might want to post this in the composites fab and repair forum, if you are intending to fix it.....

although if it were me it would have to be money back not a "credit" for a situation like this....
Old 05-15-2003, 02:26 AM
Leardriver

Default Comp-Arf Repair

Hey Dan,

well..I think it was a combination of the two...I think. During shipping something obviously caused the crack. Now was it because there was a "weak" area in the fuse or did the area kinda delaminate because of the crack? Not really sure, but the rest of it looks solid. Of course you already new that after we talked! Troublemaker (lol!)! Are you trying to start some trouble here??!! LOL! Figures! I think you should be banned!

Leadriver
Old 05-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Badge

Default Comp-Arf Repair

Its May 14th wait till June you spend all that money I would expect a flawless product in return it isnt worth something that could cause problems later on in the planes life.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:32 AM
blkbird68

Default Comp-Arf Repair

I agree with badge Paul.... For what that sucker cost....I wouldn't accept a damaged one....
Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Leardriver

Default Comp-Arf Repair

well you guys are not wrong of course, but I really am not sure if I want to continue to wait and possibly end up with another damaged one. Of course at that point I may as well write off my season. As I said, I might apply the credit to the purchase of a plain white one and get it flying to at least get one in the air and than look to repair this one. Overall it's not that "bad" and doesn't seem to be structural, but with composites I spose you never really know. I still have to wait to see what Andreas has in mind at this point.

Leardriver
Old 05-15-2003, 02:46 AM
Badge

Default Comp-Arf Repair

Email Andy Kane he will get back to you very fast of course he might be at Joe Nall so you would have to wail till early next week.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:00 AM
blkbird68

Default Comp-Arf Repair

Paul, I have a spare Staudacher you could borrow while you wait...
Old 05-15-2003, 03:01 AM
Shortman

Default Comp-Arf Repair

I would send it back, waiting or not... I know what you mean on waiting for a plane to fly only to find out it is "defective".

If you go to the IMAC section and watch the fiberclassics disentergration video you will see why I say send it back. It may only be a crack now, but it will grow, and get worse. You may be able to fix it but there isnt a 100% gaurantee that it will completely solve your problem.

I wouldnt risk it. IMO
Old 05-15-2003, 03:08 AM
blkbird68

Default the crack!!!

Thsi is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78669_6800.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	46769  
Old 05-15-2003, 03:22 AM
Shortman

Default Comp-Arf Repair

My concern is that usually when there is one mistake, theres usually something else wrong...

That picture is hard to depict the crack and hard to see the plane. Can you get another shot of it?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:30 AM
blkbird68

Default Comp-Arf Repair

My concern is that usually when there is one mistake, theres usually something else wrong...
Yea that is what I told him...the pic of the crack is the only one he sent me..... if you look close you can see that it is like a bubble in the structure..... I am afraid that it may be a bad layup and might have other problems that aren't noticeable...
Old 05-15-2003, 03:42 AM
Shortman

Default Comp-Arf Repair

my thoughts exactly... i know its a PITA (pain in the *****) but I think you should return it
Old 05-15-2003, 11:17 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: the crack!!!

Originally posted by blkbird68
This is what it looks like
Hey,
That's tough, I hear where you are coming from. On the repair end, I'd be a little concerned. The composite is similar to a mono-coupe structure. All the strength is derrived from the external surface (as opposed to a conventional model). Since you have to have the external shape, you get to omit the innards thus savings weight. The tradoff is that if the monocupe structure is damaged, you usually have to replace the whole part. You would have to get on the inside to fix it as well and I do not know how you would do that, plus it would add weight.

If I were you (and for your sake you are lucky your not ) I would ask them to send me two white wing halves and fly the plane like that. Then buy the Shulman scheme wings when it comes in for a negotiated discount.

Whatever you do though, good luck and keep us informed. I'd like to know what you wind up doing and how it works out.
RickP
Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 AM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default Comp-Arf Repair

Look at it this way, if you decide to repair it you will have a plane to fly that you will never be sure about. blkbird68 is right, who knows what else is wrong. Let's assume that you decide to fix/fly that one... and some structural component fails, you'll have no composite arf and no plane to fly for the season, and no recourse to get it replaced, but hey you got to fly it right? Now lets assume that you send it back for a new replacment. Well you won't have a Comp-arf to fly this season, and you'll have to fly something else while waiting for the replacment. But when you get it, there will be no repairs to do, your scheme will be perfect, and you have no concerns about structural integrity once you do fly it. It seems like a no-brainer to me.