Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Water into the carb?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Water into the carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 12:05 PM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water into the carb?

I'm building a 1:6 scale Beaver that will be flown on off the water eventually. The plane will be powered by an OS 120 Twin, which has the carb located under the engine. As long as I'm putting in cooling baffles, etc, in the cowl, I wonder how much of a potential problem there would be with water "spray" being thrown at the carb air intake? I could add ductwork/baffles to keep water from being directed into the carb. I understand that the prop shouldn't strike the water and there shouldn't be a lot of spray, but still, there is the potential. As long as I'm working in that area, I could add something.

TIA,
Old 05-19-2003, 02:46 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember when the old hotrods had angled velocity stacks on the carbs? If you need anything, which I doubt, you could slide a piece of tube over the carb unlet, with the end cut off at an angle. The long part should be in front so it will act as a deflector.

To do this, You will probably have to remove the choke. Nobody uses the choke anyway. I always prime mine by plugging the exhaust and flipping it through a couple of times to presurize the tank.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:08 PM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those "velocity stacks" won't work on the FT-120: the carb opens straight ahead, in addition to being down below. And it is placed far ahead-- there is barely 1/2" space the carb and the lip of the cowl. It is going to be tight working room no matter what.