Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Extinguisher Search - Best Place

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Extinguisher Search - Best Place

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 PM
FLY200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Search - Best Place

Is there a recognized favorite place where turbine pilots buy the "electric safe" extinguisher? I was unable to locate anyone selling an extra on RCU? Thanks.

Fly200
Andy
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: Fire Extinguisher Search - Best Place

Andy,

Look in your local yellow pages for Fire Extinguisher companies. They will carry CO2 extinguishers, which won't damage the turbine when used.

David S
Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Check for ones that will refill CO2 for you as well. They will more than likely have something you can get as a refurbished one as well probably in the $75 range otherwise ne 5 lb ones are close to $200.
Explain that it is for model airplane use and that it does not need any kind of "certified" type tag that would be required when it is required by a fire marshall for businesses and such. That should keep the price down.
Usually they just need hydro (pressure) tested every 5 years. Last CO2 fill I think was $8.50 for 5 lb. Ask the process for refills also. some will refill on the spot others up to 2 weeks.
Prices vary greatly so call around to all of them.
BC
Old 08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

I bought mine on ebay. They had some last week for $25. Bob
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
FLY200

Thanks! I learned a lot from your everyones' input. Headed to my local stores now and will look for refill opportunities.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Ed

" Headed to my local stores now and will look for refill opportunities. "

Be sure to tell us what you find.

... zak
Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought two 10Lb co2 last year for $20 ea on e-bay...what a steal!

There are three co2 units up there now....see photo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50570.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1030143  
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

Why not look at a Halatron extinguisher.Lot better than spraying cold CO2 on a hot engine.Read up on it and you will find it offers the best discharge rate for outdoor extinuishers.It took the place of Halon extinguishers.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
NightFlyer1

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

I bought two 10Lb co2 last year for $20 ea on e-bay...what a steal!

There are three co2 units up there now....see photo
Great deal!! I got mine from my local River City Fire Inc. (a company that deal with fire equipment) Paid $65 for a 10lb'er and they refill for $10
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you work for a reasonably large company, find out from your safety / security people who supplies the fire extinguishers for the company.

Typically this is outsourced to some fire-extinguisher service company that is under contract with many of the local companies to provide, service, and replace the extinguishers on a regular basis. These companies often have used stock available, either from e.g. having replaced some 2 yr old extinguishers with new ones, or having collected a bunch of extinguishers from a company that they no longer service (e.g companies that went bust etc). You may be able to pick up such used equipment pretty cheaply.

Bear in mind that these extinguishers have pressurisation certification just like Scuba bottles do, so when you are buying a used extinguisher you may have less time left on it than with a new one ; that should be factored into the price because when you go to get a refill you may have to pay for a hydro-test if the bottle's certification has expired. Alternatively, some of these service companies will do a new hydro on the bottle for you if you ask nicely, either free or at a token charge that is lower than your typical refill station will charge.

I've lost track of how many CO2 (and Halon previously) extinguishers we've bought this way for the guys I fly with ... gotta be at least 40 extinguishers over the last 7 years or so, averaging $50 for a slightly older style bottle, or $75 for a shiny nearly-new one.

Gordon
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
FLY200

Most of my local listings are just national brokers who are in the phone book, but located in another part of the country. The Halotran sounds neat.....not sure where to look but will check it out. I have to find that eBay listing first.

Thanks guys.

Andy
Fly200
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Greg G
My Feedback: (5)

I thought I was going to get a good deal on ebay for an aluminum 5lb extinguisher as no one was bidding yesterday. After the post on rcu today several bids have shown up [:'(]. Ebay can be great IF nobody else bids. The ebay seller seems to charge $20 shipping and you still have to get it filled.

If looking for a brand new aluminum 5lb CO2 extinguisher, lowes.com has online order with store pickup for $140. Search: Extinguisher CO2

Greg
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
FLY200

Greg! Ha....I got that eBay 5lb aluminum. I too assumed the public post would have us all chasing it. I actually did not win, but was given the "second chance buy now" offer which I did. Looks like $60 to me and a refill.

I also got a 2.5lb water extinguisher for added safety. Not sure, but have heard about carrying water is now required too? Got it for I think $37 shipped.

Thanks
Andy
Fly200
Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: FLY200
I also got a 2.5lb water extinguisher for added safety. Not sure, but have heard about carrying water is now required too?
Yup - having a water extinguisher has been a requirement for a long time now (see http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/510-A.pdf #16), though many jet guys still ignore that particular rule.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Greg G

Andy,

I got the second chance email also for my last losing bid of $42.25 + $20 shipping. Mine should be here in a couple days. Apparently this vendor had several aluminum ones available as well as the steel.

My advice from this experience would be to not get caught up in the "ebay thrill" of paying more when others are bidding. Since this vendor has sold many in the past, I should have waited for the next one, or emaild him to ask if he had more with a reasonable offer and probably would have paid a little bit less (25 to $35?) for an aluminum one.

Greg
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Ed

Can a cheap dry chemical type be emptied, and then filled with CO2 ?

... zak
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
FLY200

Good question Starzak.

Gordon - Thanks for the review and link. I should of been more clear and said, "water required at my club". I agree with you, re-reading it makes me think the same thing. I rarely see water extinguishers though as you addressed.

Greg - I agree. We still came out ahead from new though. $120 for 5lb C02 here locally by me. $100 for water..??? Said they were crazy on the water one. I have two fly-in shows coming up and was in a bind for both.

Will post pics when mine arrive.

Andy
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Cost of a new 5lb C02 is around $200. Got a refurbished, good for 5yrs, $50, cleaned it up, pimped it out, COOL! I have heard from some jet experts here that halon will harm the turbine. Haven't checked directly with the mnf. as I the jet guys are usually correct. Water ain't good for a fuel fire nor for hot metal.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 AM
rcjets_63

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: teebox11

<snip> Got a refurbished, good for 5yrs, $50, cleaned it up, pimped it out, COOL! <snip>
teebox, how about posting a pic of your "pimped" out CO2 fire extinquisher. This I gotta see!!!

Jim
Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
FLY200

Teebox....me too! Mine came in today. Happy with Ebay purchase. But a pimped out C02 bottle????? Thought about painting mine to mimick my ARTES Super Eagle or something? Jet Cat etc......?????
Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

If its anything like my scuba tank (from when I was diving all the time) you have to be careful painting or pimping it out.

Part of the inspection is an outside/inside visual. Some places do not like anything on the outside except for stock colors and inspection marks
Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

OK! OK! What I did: got the color changing paint from the hobby shop, green to copper, or something like that. First, spray painted a metallic red! Cool! Then put a light coat of that color changing paint. Came out different but totally COOL! So, thought it would be nice to put some decals on that I had made of the fighter squadron of the A-10 MIBO that I had just finished in their colors. WELL, the decal material was clear, sooooo, the colors of the decal when placed on the tank actually came out dark, with the color of the tank showing through the clear decal! MAKE SENSE? Now, I have several decals that I had made so I put them on the tank. A couple of my old military units from the military police and intelligence groups. Wasn't what I wanted to begin with, HOWEVER, what I ended up with is actually really neat! I will try to get a pic of it to post that will show, or, even if it doesn't come out very good, maybe you can get the jest of what it looks like in the flesh! The bottom line, take that boring thing and spice it up! The only laws about these things that I know of, and what was relayed to me by the seller (a fire supply company here) is the inspection and pressure test dates for refill. Anyway, when I get the pics, just have fun with it! Boring red, spice it up and have a laugh!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 AM
rcjets_63

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLY200

Teebox....me too! Mine came in today. Happy with Ebay purchase. But a pimped out C02 bottle????? Thought about painting mine to mimick my ARTES Super Eagle or something? Jet Cat etc......?????
Teebox had an awesome idea; I'm definitely pimping out my fire extinguisher. While I do like the thought of a JetCat purple & silver to match the P120, I think that scheme would be bad karma. What are the colors of JetJoe (or is that JoeJet)? They probably need fire extinguishers more than most other turbines. Of course, we could always put the famous corn photo on one!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90602.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1037222