Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

shock set-up ? for slick tracks, (off-road)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

shock set-up ? for slick tracks, (off-road)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 12:41 PM
dhauch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock set-up ? for slick tracks, (off-road)

Hey guys,
I know this is a loaded question. What derction do I need to go for shock setup for a slick track?
I'm running a xxx-nt.

Do I want the light springs and heavier oil to keep the truck down, little stiffer in front to transfer weight to the rear tires, ect.?

Just looking for some guide lines to go by, I know there's alot of variables here.
Appreciate any tips, thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 05:03 PM
gsferrari

depends on the track condition...

If you meant "Slick = Slippery" then you probably want to do this :-

1] thinner shock oil in the rear and softer springs
2] choose front shock settings by driving around - turning in etc. depends on the track...I usually go stiffer front and softer rear...
3] tune down the brakes a little and PLEASE check your alignment!!
4] toe out the front to reduce oversteer and toe in the rear slightly - you'll drift through turns with minimal steering work...

Basically - try a lot of stuff and see what works for you...

Use softer tires
Old 05-25-2003, 06:17 PM
1stPlaceRace

I race my xxxnt on a hard packed surface that brings sand up to the top and its like driving on marbles. I use the softest compound tires,Losi red and proline m3. I run 40 wt oil in the rear with the softest springs possible. The steering advise was excellent an less steering will help alot. Also the new breed of engines produce alot of power and on a real slick track to much low end power is no good. My lap times are better with a cheap OFNA .12 than with a nova rossi .12. My friend runs his picco rich to make it more controllable out of the corners. After a tank of fuel he is usually only running at 195 degrees
Old 05-25-2003, 06:57 PM
gsferrari

Running the engine slightly rich will make it easier to drive.

You can also use In-Carb rev limiters which are just inserts that reduce the carb throat opening - thus limiting the amount of air going into the engine. Yes this might rob power on the top end but it will improve your control by reducing the amount of power transferred to the wheels.

I am a semi-pro but I use limiters some times when the track conditions are just horrible. I've raced a Schumacher Nitro Fusion on a track that can only be described as an OIL SLICK!! or a mirrored surface...

Great for the tires but horrible for the rest of the car because almost everyone was losing it - EVEN ON THE STRAIGHTS!!

Use a rev-limiter or a Carb-Restrictor or whatever you wanna call it - this can be the single most effective change you can make towards handling on a slick track...
Old 05-25-2003, 07:11 PM
1stPlaceRace

Thats right. I have a 3 piece set of carb restrictors for the os carb. I used to run RBW modified OS .12's and they made a ton of low end, we always used the restrictors.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:13 PM
dhauch

Thanks guys for the tips.
I've been doing alot of testing and just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction in my thinking anyway.

1stplace; what are you using for pistons in the rear if you recall?
Our track is descent hardpack clay when we start out , gets pretty loose between sweeping though.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 08:33 PM
1stPlaceRace

Ive always used pink all oround. I like to keep the pistons consistant, to get a better Idea of oil and spring changes.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:50 PM
dhauch

1stplace,
Thats a good idea on keeping the same color pistons.
Mine are different from front to back and I'm always trying to compensate the oil and springs for the two.
Thanks.