Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Help Me Identify this Giant Pitts

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help Me Identify this Giant Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help Me Identify this Giant Pitts

RE Your big PILOT PITTS

I remembered that I had a good shot of an original advertisement. This Pilot S2-A is one I intended on building. I got a set of plans and made patterns from the original kit parts. The plans are generous with cross sections but there are a lot of bulkheads, formers, notched and shaped stringers and other parts that are req'd to complete this self jigging type of model that are not shown except on a smaller parts identification sheet. The construction is quite advanced for the time and reminiscent of the Big Challenger and other Exclusiv Modelbau types. I have the 48% S1-S and there are lots of similarities.

Fiberglass Speciatlies sells the pants and cowl for this Pilot. As mentioned before, GP's replacement parts will fit and the LG while not as scale does work very well. One could also use this plan with GP's Eagle parts if the empenage where reprofiled.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57985.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	949646  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
JoeAverage

Here is a refurbishment or straight from new recovering. Not certain. It was the stock big GP Pitts ARF and redone beautifully to resemble a full size conterpart across the Pond. Original was an S1 and this here is an S2 but a moot point given how sharp it looks. One would have to examine it to determine it's origins. Pilot or GP.

It was flown in perfect scale manner by the pilot who really put it through an areobatic routine at St Jacobs in Sept 2005.

Name:	Sq47894.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	949651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63007.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	949652  
Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 PM
speed lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These Pitts look awesome I just bought a Pitts S2A which is a OK MODELS PILOT KIT
It has already been built fully built but the man who built it glued all moving parts in and did not cover it so it will be some hassle to cover. It is not a big giant scale one but still very nice looking with the same construction as the bigger one by the sounds of it. It is for a 19-25 size glow engine and a 42†span. It originally had the ailerons on the bottom wing only the full length of the wing but who ever built it halved them and put the other half on the top will this be bad for handling also the plan does not say where the CG is could you guys help.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM
JoeAverage

There shouldn't be a problem with the ailerons in scale position. Just calculate the area of the original ailerons and compare to the modification so that you can adjust the deflection properly. Differential would be wise. Better to drop at tip than stall it lifting one. These little Pitts look great but fly fast.

I have about 75 sets of Pitts plans and think that I may have this one. OK Pilot made 4 Pitts kits alone I think from the smallest to the 1/3.5 scale. They made some great ARFs in various sizes as well. The Christen Eagle was well represented in their product line up. I know I have a House of Balsa the is 42" as well as Flying Models Robert Brantley at 42" as well. Pilots Pitts were all S2-A's as well like the 2 plans I mention. I will dig out some plans and see if I can find the C of G for you.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Patto

I stumbled upon this thread at just the right time! My dad had a Pilot 1/3.5 kit sitting in his garage for about 15 years and recently told me that I could have it on one condition: I had to modify it and make it like his former full-scale plane, the Wolf Pitts. It was modified from an S1S with guidance from Curtis Pitts himself, and now it's up to me to turn this kit into a replica of it.

The ailerons have to come almost to the fuse, they have a counter-balance hinge-line like Sean Tucker's Oracle had, (before it crashed) although the Wolf Pitts had it first... There are also some other modifications I have to make, but it will be a winner if I'm patient, I'm sure.

Here is a pic of the full-scale Wolf Pitts:

Name:	Ca80986.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	955682  
Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 AM
JoeAverage

The kit would make for an excellent S2-A in Royal Falcon Team scheme.

Too many mods needed to make a Wolf Pitts S1 from it, practically speaking. Not the highest and best use of the Pilot kit IMHO. I don't think this is anything you don't know.

Would love to see a Wolf S1 Model. The Discontinued Midwest S1-11 would maybe bash more easily into a Wolf Pitts. Spring gear and rake on canopy are right.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Patto

You're right, there are some mods, but I'm going to make it happen, or at least get it close. I haven't progressed very much on this kit, I'll admit. I have one wing done but that's it for now. I agreed to try and make it a replica of his old plane in exchange for a free kit, so I'll do my best.

-Pat
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM
JoeAverage

A Deal's a deal. Many successfully pay homage by duplicating the paint scheme alone on a suitable subject such as that. The replacement spring gear (without covers) from GP's big Pitts ARF and GP's Big Christen Eagle ARF Replacement canopy (cut right) would be possible enhancements.

The kit is worth $400 and way up. A generous gift. Superb quality.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Patto

I'll check out the LG and canopy you recommended, thank you!

It was a generous gift, and I hope I do it justice with my mediocre skills.

-Pat
Old 11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
brycesteenburg
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I got one of these kits the other day but it doesn't have the plans. If anybody has a set of plans they would like to send me or copy and send. I would gladly pay for them.
Thanks, Bryce