Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

servo problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo problem

I have a new Eflite S-60 servo on the ailerons of a new foamy that just twitches like mad. I replaced it with another new S-60 with the same results. I tried another receiver, ESC and checked for binding in the linckage and have none. Usually if this happens I find it to be a bad servo but not in this case. It does not do this if the aileron linkage is disconnected and when it does do it it's when you move the ailerons and then go back to center in most cases. With prop wash going over the ailerons it does not do it. To stop it all you have to do is touch the servo or ailerons. I'm lost here so any suggestions would be great. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: servo problem

Do you mave ANY metal to metal contacts ANYWHERE in the control rods?

Metal pushrod in a metal connector? Metal connector in a metal control horn on a surface?
Metal pushrod with ANY metal guides?

Antenna wired coiled up inside of the body? Antenna wrapped around or laying within 1" of the metal pushrods?

Rare......Try another Xmitter. Do a range check OUT DOORS. Sometimes indooor tests go wacky because of metal siding or metal heating pipes or ducts. They bounce signals back & forth ...out of time.

More rare. Change both the transmitter & reciever crystals. 1 at a time.

If none of those help.

Change the pilot.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
sb13

no metal to metal and I'm on 2.4.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you using a servo extension. This type of problem most often is caused by a bad connection somewhere in the wiring or to small a gage wire or a battery with to high an internal impedance. Double check all connectors for dirt and/or corrosion or just a poor connection due to insufficient contact tension.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
sb13

No extensions were used. I changed the servo itself along with another new ESC not hooked to the motor and another transmitter and receiver and got the same thing. I will check all connections again. Even tried a different battery.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
whitecrest

ORIGINAL: sb13
...I replaced it with another new S-60 with the same results...
Try a different servo type (not an S-60). Perhaps the problem is unique to that exact servo for some reason. I would also vote for an intermittent connection somewhere in the connection wiring. The intermittent glitches are the most maddening. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 PM
cyclops2

His problem sounds like " dither " . A true servo problem that can be in the servo only. other channels run OK.

Should be all of that type of servo. A bad batch of them.

I go with Whitcrest on this one.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM
sb13

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

His problem sounds like " dither " . A true servo problem that can be in the servo only. other channels run OK.

Should be all of that type of servo. A bad batch of them.

I go with Whitcrest on this one.
Guys, I put another new S-60 in it and it's fixed. It was a bad batch of servos I guess. I called Horizon and they said to send them in for testing and replacement. Great service again from Horizon! Thanks for everyones input.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:45 PM
cyclops2

I would DEFINATELY send ALL back for credit or refund & pick a DIFFERENT make & model till the S-60 get used up. They can fail in flight also ???

Dump them.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
sb13

The end of last season there were a few guys having problems with them. I have'nt had any myself after three indoor flying seasons knock on wood but you are right about that. Horizon will take care of it for me as they are great about things like that.