Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

2-stroke oil test

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

2-stroke oil test

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 AM
yamahatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-stroke oil test

Hey guys we have been discussing this more oil = more power on another thread and most believe it to be fact. So if so many people believe it I must be wrong so a friend and I decided to do a little test. He has a older kx 80 that his son used to race and I talked him into using this as a test motor. Plus he has a few different jet sizes for the carb so we decided to test 3 different oil ratios 18:1 50:1 100:1. Now we didnt have access to a dyno but we decided to use his sons great riding ability to do timed tests. We figured do 3 passes on each ratio and would average it out.

Now for the tests we started out with the heaviest oil ratio and jetted it one jet size richer to compensate for the extra oil. We continued until we got to the last 100:1 ratio and leanest jet which by the end of his third pass the motor was running bad. To make a long story short his best time average was with the 18:1 oil mix and his son said he could actually feel the motor lost power at the higher oil ratio. Another cool thing we did was put 18:1 back in with the rich jet after we thought we toasted the motor and it ran great so we did another 3 passes and blew away the 100:1 test. This was the biggest loss/gain even in seat of the pants feel for power. Another note we did was check the spark plug each time to rule out a lean condition and thought we were pretty close.

The test were not as factual as a dyno would of been but for such a simple collection of data we feel pretty good with the end results. Which I now believe more oil = more power especially going from 100:1 back to 18:1. I have to admit I was wrong and dont know if I would of ever believed it until I saw it first hand. I also want to apologize to you guys for the smart remark I made in the other post. Next time I do some research so I dont insert my foot in mouth again. Later
Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 AM
jacob711

Default RE: 2-stroke oil test

the only problem with 18:1 in a motorbike is it will most likely foul plugs because they are on and off the throttle a lot, but on a boat they are held WOT all the time

good job[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
yamahatech

Yea we just went from lowest ratio to the highest on his oil mixer. I believe his normal ratio on the bike is like 32:1.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:00 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey mate its good to see someone big enough to admit he was wrong but dont make a song and dance about it or we will all have to start doing it [X(] ,well everyone else will because as you all know im never wrong .Serriously though thanks for taking the time to share your findings,thats what i like to see someone actually testing things out for themselves to see what works [sm=thumbs_up.gif].
Mart
Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
MrMikeG

great job! I'm pretty good friends with Matthew from M&D, he has dyno proven it for me too. [8D]
Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
monsterbrad

I would think that there would be a point when to much oil would just make it smokey.
I am running 25:1 in a BH Hanson mod and when I talked to him at the beginning of the summer he told me at that time I could get away with more oil if I wanted to.
hmmmm looks like the more oil thing is true but I still think there will be a cut off point for to much.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
jacob711

well for zenoahs i believe 16:1 is best
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
monsterbrad

I have to say after my first season of messin with the new large scale gas boats I have learned alot.
So in the questions that are brought up all the time about oil and ratio's I checked my engine out after the summer of pounding on the engine at 25:1 about 5.5 ounces of Klotz synthetic or a touch more to 1 gallon of gas.
I used about 2-1/2 gallons through the engine this summer also.
The compression is good but the sleeve has slight scratches in it.
So I am wondering if more oil would be better I will try more oil in the spring and see what happens.
I have been told about a 1000 hrs is all you get out of these engine's and I figured that would take a few summers as all we do is pound on them every few week ends all summer long till it gets to cold to be out side.