Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

2.3m Extra perfect test flights.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

2.3m Extra perfect test flights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.3m Extra perfect test flights.

Wing loading=288oz/11.625sqft=24.77oz/sqft,
Your plane should be a real floater![8D]

If the piped DA-50 can swing a Mejzlik 23x8 at 6800Rpm, you would get around 27 pounds static thrust and 1.5 thrust/weight ratio. Good for IMAC but that's the minimum for extreme 3D.

Anyway, 18lbs is very good.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:04 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scoubido:
You are right on the button. A blast to fly but very scarry when you are close to the ground cause the pull out is oh so slow. In the process of switching to 3W75i on mini-pipe. Weight will increase but the ratio should be above 2 to 1. Results soon.
Paul
Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Scoubidou

What would you think about the MVVS-58? Stronger than any 50CC and lighter than 3W-75 and ZDZ-80
Daniel
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Scoubidou I think your wing area calculation might be off. I came up with a higher number on wing load.

ORIGINAL: Scoubidou

If the piped DA-50 can swing a Mejzlik 23x8 at 6800Rpm, you would get around 27 pounds static thrust and 1.5 thrust/weight ratio. Good for IMAC but that's the minimum for extreme 3D.

Anyway, 18lbs is very good.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Brad330l

CCDave,, I have started to put a bit of colour on mine. All vinyl. This wing was done in about three hours.
Hope the pics work.
Cheers
Brad
Not having any luck with upload so,,, http://users.bigpond.net.au/bjg/Extr...0wing%20II.JPG
Old 04-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Scoubidou

Scoubidou I think your wing area calculation might be off. I came up with a higher number on wing load.
Prouve it with your calculations!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:24 PM
RTK

21lbs=336oz. most people are around this or more. The manufacture says 20-22, You say 18?
11.625sqft. using your numbers which I believe are HIGH
336/11.625=28.9 call it 29 and I believe that is being VERY kind.

I have a Comp-Arf 2.6 extra with the bare essentials and a BME 110, it comes in at 23+ lbs AND when I figure the wing load it breaks 30, but not by much.

I have a hard time believing that you can break 30 with a 2.3. Not enough wing AREA.
NOW I could be wrong but I could not find the 1.06 sqm or 1674 sq.in. you stated.

ORIGINAL: Scoubidou

Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Scoubidou

Hello RTK
1) We are both right with our calculations but the confusion comes from the weight. I used 18 lbs as stated earlier by Paul Eagon in that tread.

Mine was over 18lbs with DA-50/pipe combo. Scrimped on everthing I could. C/F wing and elevator tubes, single batteries, light everything. JR paint scheme was the only extra. Working for 17lbs will be hard to acheive.
Paul
I do not have the 2.3 Extra but i was just curious to see the wing loading on that plane.

2)
NOW I could be wrong but I could not find the 1.06 sqm or 1674 sq.in. you stated.
If you read carefully this tread, you'll find the 1.06sqm wing area comes from a personal email sent to Comp ARF where i asked that question.
Anyway, enjoy your Extra.
Daniel
Old 04-17-2005, 12:10 AM
RTK

I have to agree. If the wing area is what comp-arf said (truthfully) and you can keep the weight to 18lbs, that would be a great floater. I need bigger wings on my 2.6
Old 04-18-2005, 11:54 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Brad,

That vinyl looks great! in many ways I wish I would have gone with vinyl rather than paint. Much easier to work with!

Well I got the maiden in this weekend... I was only able to get 2 flights in...

First flight the engine was way to rich! and I needed about 3 clicks of right aileron trim and about 2 clicks of down elevator. I kept the flight short so I could get it down and tune it then check it over to make sure nothing had come loose...

Second flight was much better... We leaned out the highend a little and WOW the power of that ZDZ80 is unbelieveable! I did a full power takeoff roll and pulled vertical and it was like a ROCKET!!! I throttled back while still vertical... The 2.3m is smooth in the air... it makes my mediocre flying look great! I didn't really try anything but a few reverse half cubans, knife-edge and a few Turn stalls but WOW! I need to lean out the low end a little since the engine runs a little uneven in the air...

Hopefully I will get more time to fly it next weekend!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:54 AM
CCDave

Got a few more flights in the weekend and I am having a time getting this thing to slow down for landing... I am thinking that my CG is too far forward...

My CG is set at about 105mm from the leading edge... What CG settings are you all using?

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2005, 03:26 AM
Brad330l

Hi CCDave,
Got three flights in on the week end too for a total of seven now.
I am having great fun with slow flight up stairs but am landing a little fast too.
At the moment i would be 100/105mm back and must go back a bit more.
All in good time for me though as inverted is a dream and will want to move batttery tray back and not just add weight.
This means a bit of sergery but nothing too radical.
Got some more colour on mine and will post a pic when finished.

Might as well ask,,,,,, Where is every body else in regards to CoG, and how slow can you land?????

Cheers,

Brad
Old 04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
CCDave

Brad,

When I installed my batteries I placed them on a piece of wood... Then I bought some longer bolts for the landing gear and I used them to mount the wood on top of the landing gear mount.

What am planning on doing is adding weight to the tail until I find the CG that I like then I will remove the weight and then place the batteries in a location that gives me the same balance point. That way I can permanently mount the batteries in the correct location.

Once I get it all setup I will post the measurement

Old 04-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

hey mate..........

finally got my chock set up on this P.I.T.A. boxer, and now that its done, I have to wonder how could it take me so long.....

I will post photos later, but its so slick....

I got turned off on a servo, friends felt the servo would fail, especially a small one mounted on the firewall

I've run into another small problem....the left corner of the muffler from RC Showcase rubs the cowl.....yuk!!!!!!

I don't want another hole, so I trimed off some of the edge, and have a friend that will weld it closed for me....did this once before on a pitts muffler for a OS 160......

I think we need better selections of muflers for the engines in general....

Really interested in the balance, and how you guys that are flying already slow this ship down.....my field is great....sun at your back, wide and deep overfly, but the fielf is a little small, and I generall like long approaches and take my time slowing down....this field is a little like a carrier if you have a floater, or a ship you can't bleed off the energy...........

let me know....look for the photos next week

bob
Old 05-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Brad330l

Hey Phantom,,
Finally able to show how i did my Choke For ZDZ80 and my home made exhaust. I will put the pics in my gallary in 'RC Community'

(Brad330l)

Just have to add some lettering/ web addresses for colour and then that is it!!!

Cheers

Brad
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

thanks for the info Brad...........

taking my muffler out to be welded this morning, had to nip off the corner as it hit the cowl

looking good all the way around, not much left to finish....

the rainy weekends here have given me extra time to work on this instead of flying....this a relaxation so no push on when it needs to be finished or fly.....

cheers

bob
Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
CCDave

After several flights I have settled on a CG of 110mm from the leading edge... With that CG I require just a touch of down elevator to maintain inverted flight...

I haven't been working on much 3D stuff, but I think this ia a good all around setting... I was about to master the landings on this thing... I found that if you make your approach like you normally do then about 2 or 3 inches over the runway let the elevator go to neutral and it will settle down to a perfect landing...

I was trying to flair it like every other plane I have flown and I would always get a huge (5 feet high) bounce....

I am really enjoying this airplane! I had no idea what I was missing!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Brad330l

Hi Guys,
I know this is a very old thread and we may have all moved on but I just wanted you all to know that my Extra is still going strong and I still love flying it. It was in storage for 18 months while I went travelling and got married but I have dusted it off, replumbed the fuel system and had a couple of great weekends with it. I must get new batteries for it as after a couple of recycles I was not happy with the recharge capacities I was getting.
The ZDZ fired straight up with no problems after such a long rest and sounded so sweet as I bored holes in the sky.

Cheers,
Brad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17044.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1074221  
Old 11-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Brad330l

Got two packs of 3700mah NiMH sub C flight batteries so I am away again. Initial charge was at .5 of an amp for about 20 hours and both took 4000ma. So I should be able to get a few good flights out of the packs now before neeeding to recharge. If I can get three ten minute flights for the day without worrying about how much power I have left I will be very happy.

Cheers,

Brad