Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cermark F16 ventral fin installation and more

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cermark F16 ventral fin installation and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cermark F16 ventral fin installation and more

Hello guys,

a) Would appreciate an advice on how to install the ventral fins on the F-16 and reinforce them somehow as nothing is mentioned in the instructions.
Any idea also for doing a clean cut on the fiber glass using dremel tool would be appreciated.

b) On the other hand has any one had an issue with supplied brake valve as it seems to be leaking and not locking the air inside. When i tried to reverse the tubes air was trapped (not leaking) but brakes were not operational.

c) Retract valve seem to work ok with no leak but would like to reduce gear movement up and down as they are slaming heavily up and down.
Any ideas?

Thanks. Regards.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cermark F16 ventral fin installation and more

ORIGINAL: extra 300

Hello guys,

a) Would appreciate an advice on how to install the ventral fins on the F-16 and reinforce them somehow as nothing is mentioned in the instructions.
Any idea also for doing a clean cut on the fiber glass using dremel tool would be appreciated.
Hysol a short length of 4-40 all thread rod into the fins about an inch in from both ends. add a 1" reinforcing wood circle inside the fuselage where those rods stick through, drill a hole and secure them with a locking nut on the inside. works good and is easily removable.

b) On the other hand has any one had an issue with supplied brake valve as it seems to be leaking and not locking the air inside. When i tried to reverse the tubes air was trapped (not leaking) but brakes were not operational.
sounds like you've got something plumbed wrong.

c) Retract valve seem to work ok with no leak but would like to reduce gear movement up and down as they are slaming heavily up and down.
Any ideas?

Thanks. Regards.
use airline restrictors to slow the travel or buy the Robart valve with the regulation screws.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut a slot in the fus and inserted the ventrals. Then epoxied 1/8" square stock on both sides on the inside. Works ok. Bob
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I did the same as Bob...using a hobby knife to carefully cut the slot..

those valves are not the best...you can try to flush some BVM o ring lube thru it...that may help......
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Shaun Evans

Extra,

Would you mind snapping a couple of pics of your fuel tanks? I'm wondering if they'll fit in the slightly-smaller Yellow F-16.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 AM
extra 300

YellowAircraft,

I haven't reached tank installation yet, however i have trialed fit them and i believe that there is hardly place for velcro to fix them in place, therefore i think that i will have to glue them in place.
If you are not in a hurry, i will do some trial fittings soon, take a few photos and post them.

Regards.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Just put a couple dabs of goop on them. If you need to remove you can slit the silicone and peel it off. just put it where you can get at it. worked for me. Bob
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm hoping for pics of the tanks themselves; not their installation. If they're sitting out, that's all the better. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 PM
extra 300

Would anyone happen to have photos of installation on front tray showing different components and setup. Where do you suggest to install fuel pump and still be able to access it easily for service.
I like to take my time and plan ahead order achieving a neat installation and mainly to be able to access all components with minimum effort.

Thanks for your help.
Regards. Dany
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

This is for my JL 1/8 F-16 but it may work for you as well. This makes the fins removable.

You will have to resize the 2nd pic to make sure the dimensions match the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11590.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1080115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71351.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1080116  
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Wayne22

Depends which engine you are using.. with the jetcat the leads are huge allowing you to put stuff almost anywhere (as long as there is room to coil up the extra data leads, with some FADEC powered engines like the wren, the length of the leads is shorter, and your options are more limited, but the wiring is somewhat neater.

The fuel pump should hardly ever need any attention. I had one mounted in the wing root leading edge extension, and another velcroed in the cockpit area beside the UAT. What I did was trace the deck out on a piece of cardboard then arranged things the way I thought they should fit...when satisfied, I cut holes and dummy mounted everything in the jet and made sure I could get the canopy (and cockpit tub) on. It took five or six tries, and I have since changed it a couple of times since then.....
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 AM
extra 300

Sweetpea01,

Thanks for your post and idea. Appreciated.

Wayne22,

I will install my P-60 and would really appreciate some photos to avoid extensive trial/error and have a nice clean setup which could be easily servisable.

Thanks. Regards.
Dany
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Pete737

Wouldn't you want to make the fins somewhat "breakable"? Just wondering.

Seems that since the 16 lands at such a high AOA you could damage the fuse on a botched landing if they are super strong, Rather than having them simply break off.

Just MHO since I am almost ready to do mine.

Pete
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

I try not to plan for crashes.........But if you want to, the JL method (from Global Jet) you could make the attachment points that come off the fin out of a weaker material that would shear if extreme force is applied.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Wayne22

The exhaust nozzle will hit the ground before the ventral fins touch. That is a real good place to mount a skid (hint, hint.....)

There is a thread here somewhere on Management decks... there are lots of pictures (some f-16's as well). lots of ideas to pick and choose from.....
Old 11-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I'm chronicaling the build of my Yellow F-16 in another thread right now. Maybe I'll jump ahead to the ventral fins and show you how I do it. It's a bit heavier than other methods, but it's VERY easy and convenient to take them off and/or replace them. No clamps, no nuts, no threaded rod...