Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

newbie help me pick

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
rc4sale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help me pick

Hi all im looking into getting a nice rc truck. Ill try and tell you what I am kind of looking for. I want to be able to put it all together, i want it to be electric, I plan on bringing it to a track and racing for fun a little, but mostly will race it around outside and go off jumps. I am also into monster jam racing so id like to be able to buty a monster jam body but that is not needed. I have around 600 to spend what should i get and why and is there any good online stores i can buy from? thanks a ton

Mitch
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Druss

Default RE: newbie help me pick

If you want to build it, you want a kit.

It sounds like you want a stadium truck or a monster truck. Are you looking for 4WD or 2WD?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
rc4sale

4wd or 2wd not a big deal to me i assume 4wd is better but that is somthing i dont care about much. I was also going to ask how much time it takes to put one together??

thanks again
mitch
Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 PM
FloridaDude

Team AE T4FT. It all depends on if you know what your doing. I can do 1 in 1.5hr. Most people 3-6 i think
Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Druss

Personally for your budget I'd look at the E-Revo and some upgrades, lipo batteries and good charger.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
rc4sale

ok are these monster trucks or no? and can i get monster truck bodies for them? and a store i can buy these at?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Sugafree

Here's a few On Line Shops,

http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...d=11E57F22F7C9

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_44_50

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-c.html
Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Druss

The [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5608/trx_erevo5608.htm]ERevo[/link] is called a monster truck but I think of it more as a truggy thought there really is not much difference between a truggy and monster truck besides clearance. the summit and emax are also options but won't race as well.

The one I linked is the brushless version and is prebuilt. Unfortunately, most 1/10 trucks are prebuilt unless you buy tamiya.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I say AE(Associated) T4 FT(Factory Team kit) which is a Stadium Truck. I THINK, AE makes the MGT 4.6 in kit form, but I'm not positive; that is a monster truck. HPI E-Firestorm Flux, which is an ST(Stadium Truck), or an HPI E-Savage that is a MT. I think these come in kit form, but I'm not sure. HPI also makes both of these trucks in nitro form. Traxxas will be all RTR, they don't even sell kits, and their quality isn't quite as high as far as racing goes as AE or HPI. Team Losi also makes a few different kit forms of trucks you may like. Take a look at some of these and see what you think. If you're looking for a crawler/basher truck the HPI Wheely King and Tamiya Clod Buster are good options, but these take some modification to make into capable trucks, particularly the Clod Buster, but man are they fun!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
rc4sale

I for sure want to build it. I will take a look at what you all said. Why do they not make kits. it seems like it would be easyer to fix and mod if you build it yourself. am i wrong? i was also looking for some rc racing dvds?? anyone know a good source for them
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
FloridaDude

ur right about building the kits. dontknow about the dvds
Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rc4sale

I for sure want to build it. I will take a look at what you all said. Why do they not make kits. it seems like it would be easyer to fix and mod if you build it yourself. am i wrong? i was also looking for some rc racing dvds?? anyone know a good source for them
Youtube has some videos on rc racing.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
rc4sale

I am finding alot of tamiya they seem like they arnt as good as others am i right?? also a off road car will work to its hard to find really any monster truck kits
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Tamiya kits go through all levels of the spectrum. They have cheap and easy starter kits, but they also have VERY high end and expensive race kits. All Tamiya products are of good quality no matter what you pay for them. I've never been disappointed by a Tamiya kit. As for some companies not making kits, well, I think it's BS too. In fact I'm a huge AE fan, and the fact that I can't buy all of their models in kit form REALLY pi$$es me off!!!!!!![:@] I HATE RTR!!!!!!!!![:@] Stuff is frequently put together poorly, the parts quality isn't as good, I DON'T GET TO BUILD IT, etc... I've actually written Associated a long letter a while back complaining about some of the RTR only models, but I never got a response. Companies like Traxxas went through a restructuring and market positioning game a while back. When I was young and first got into this 21 years ago, Traxxas was a joke. Their cars were crap, everything broke, kits sucked, etc... so... then the big wigs(this was smart) decided to reposition the company as an RTR company and start making ridiculous, but possible, claims on speeds, abilities, etc... This is why a box says such and such model will go 70+mph, but when you buy it and get the "regular" stuff it only goes 35mph. It's technically not false advertising, because if you get a HUGE 3S lipo and a great charger you can do those speeds, but most people who are buying the Traxxas vehicles(entry level RCers) don't know this, but love that (they think) it will go that fast. Unfortunately, this has spread like cancer. The "true" hobbyists(or I guess you could say old school) WANT a kit and WANT to put it together. This whole RTR thing scares the crap out of me quite frankly. If their ever comes a day where I can't buy any RC's in kit form I will quit this hobby. I think RTR is just plain lazy, it's called a HOBBY for a reason. Toys, though not always, come preassembled. A hobby is something you put time, effort, knowledge, skill, and creativity into.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: rc4sale

I am finding alot of tamiya they seem like they arnt as good as others am i right?? also a off road car will work to its hard to find really any monster truck kits
Like stated, tamiya makes all kinds. HPI was noted as a good brand and they make the E10 and it's $105 at Tower, they also make the Baja 5B/T which is over $1000.

Tamiya is much the same, they make $100 kits to $600 kits (18 wheeler semis) and I'd say that by far they make the most realistic scale stuff.

If you want realism look at the Tamiya F350 or Tundra kits, they are out of this world.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
rc4sale

I am going with the e savage by HPI. I know there are extra things i need moter batteries charger. are there any good recamendations for these?? i dont need top of the line but i also dont want junk