Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

No grip with normal tyres TT-01D

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
nightfighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No grip with normal tyres TT-01D

Hello,

I have a TT-01D and have just depleted my Type-D drifting tyres. I went on ebay and bought some normal tyres, they were quite cheap.

I have glued the tyre to the rim and balanced the wheels perfectly. The wheels feel much softer and stickier than my old drift tyres.

I took it down to the track (very smooth road surface) and gave it a run. When ever i try to turn a corner the back slides out and it will spin out very easily.

When going full speed down the straight, the slightest turn will send the car spinning out of control.

I don't know if it is to do with the car being set up for drifting. Do i need to adjust any of the suspension, camber, toe, motor ratio? Would changing these make all the difference? Or are they just crap tyres?

Cheers

P.S. I'm not planning on racing this car, i just want it to go around the track normally and not drift or spin out.

Pics of new tyres:

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM
cornel4web

Default RE: No grip with normal tyres TT-01D

try not to accelerate in curves...also, check your diffs, are the front working harder than the rear?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
skottoman

Add more camber to the rears, less to the fronts. Make rear shocks softer, fronts harder, and try that.
Cheers,
Skottoman
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Druss

With everything above recommended you may have just gotten poor quality tires as well.

Do you have a 1 way bearing on the front? Make sure the diffs are all working properly. Try adding a tire traction compound.

Remember that physics still apply even with RCs if you'd spin out doing it in a real car you'd spin out with the RC.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM
SIRCC

dude the tt-01d was build for drifting, wheels do not make a drift car, diff's, camber, shocks and gear ratio has alot to do with with racing, you i belief are trying to race with a drift car setup.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Druss

actually, if you look at the tt-01d and the regular tt-01 there is not much difference.

TT-01D drift-spec modifications include drift tires, adjustable suspension tuning, full ball bearings, sport- tuned motor, aluminum heat sink, CVA mini shock dampers and short springs.

The adjustable suspension, motor and heatsink are the big differences, along with the tires.

There is no different layout for weight. The shocks themselves are the same. The ball bearings are an upgrade you should do anyway. I see no reason why the TT-01D should not be able to put on regular tires and perform as well as a standard TT-01.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

druss. i am going to be getting a tt01 in a trade and i want it to be a touring car, so all i would have to do is change motor/esc (would've done that anyway), tires, adjust diffs and suspension? anything else?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Druss

Sorry,

You're getting a TT-01D or a TT-01 in trade? What are you trying to do with it?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 AM
nightfighter

End up buying some Schumacher XG-36's Sorex tyres and they grip very well on the track. The ebay tyres were just crap.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
yahman1254

druss, i am getting a tt01-d in a trade, but i want it to perform a a touring car, so is my list right? anything else?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Druss

I think the D already comes with the aluminum prop shaft, if it doesn't then get one. It does come with bearings but check them to see if they need replacing. The next thing to do is get cvds and oil filled shocks. After that, a ball diff is better for racing than the gear diff is comes with.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
yahman1254

oh. i think the one i may get already has a ball diff. the person upgraded it i think
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
lee172

if these latest tyres dont impress, then try HPI X Patterns.. brilliant tyres.