Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Charging bigger (More cells) LiPo Packs ???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Charging bigger (More cells) LiPo Packs ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging bigger (More cells) LiPo Packs ???

OK, I'll admit this is probably a no-brainer question.. But I gotta ask....

Right now, I'm kind of "standardizing" on Thunder Power LiPos. I have bought several 3S and 2S packs. Plugging them together in series (if needed) to attain 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6S configurations. Then charging the packs separately.

But now.. I find my latest projects requiring more power (insert Tim the Tool Man grunt here).

So now I'm looking at purchasing 4S and 5S packs.

Right now, I'm charging the packs with the appropriate LiPo charger that I can connect to either my automobile's battery, or to a 12v power source plugged into home current..

Now for the question....

Do I need different equipment to charge the 4S and 5S packs?

I know.. dumb question... but I gotta ask... to be sure.... (PS. Yes I have the cell balancer I use religously.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charging bigger (More cells) LiPo Packs ???

What kind of charger vms? I use a MRC SuperBrain 989 which will charge up to 10 cell lipos, ect, ect. blah blah. Mine charges thru the discharge leads and I use a astroflight blinky to balance all my batterys after charging.

The documentation that came with your charger should tell you what its capable of. If it is only good for up to 3 cell lipos then you will have to upgrade. Not a huge deal anymore as some of the "better" lipo chargers have really come down in price. Hobbycity has some good chargers for quite cheap, the power supply for home charging can be made from an old PC power supply easily for about $20. As you get into the TP 4S and 5S batterys you have a lot more invested.........
Just a thought........

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, depends on your charger. The chargers that charge 4S+ batteries still run off of 12V (and can usually accept 14V or more), but they have a "boost converter/regulator" that steps up the output voltage above the power supply voltage. Even fully charging a 3S pack requires an output of 12.6V.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: ArrowNaughtic

What kind of charger vms?
I bought my TPs from Hobby Lobby, and also the charger an Ultramat 12..

If I read the instructions, it say it can handle 5S LiPos...