Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Toe-in for floats.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Toe-in for floats.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe-in for floats.

Just happened to be looking at my Goldberg Cub and noticed how much it was off checked and tip almost 2"wider than the back by finding center of floats and measuring across.Everybody seems top worry about the angles in relation to plane etc but don't remember seeing much on this.Always try to have little toe-in on the wheels so seems like should be here too although it seems to take-off OK.Was able to move floats on gear to only about 3/4"wider in the front,any more will require some serious changes.Any thoughts?Thanks Bob Moodie.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:00 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bob from description that is toe out and not toe in. My thoughts and practice is to mount as parallel as possible and I think that much toe out or in could lead to some tricky handeling particularly when on the step.

John
Old 06-13-2003, 01:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with John,
Any toe-in or toe-out can force the plane to veer to the side when one float comes out of or drops into the water before the other,
So long as you make perfect level takeoffs and landings you'll be fine

2" difference sounds like, alot but 3/4" you could probably get away with, 0" is still best
Old 06-13-2003, 02:33 AM
moodier

Thanks for the replies.Just had never paid much attention to that I'll try this one with the 3/4"toe-out.Flew the other way so will leave it go but now have to start checking my other planes for that always something, shows a little knowledge can be dangerous.John,left some floats in Az next winter will put them on something and try the colorado with George Silvey who I think you know.He has a nice Pontoon should make good platform to fly from,that is what I use here in Wi.Only thing don't like there is that 8'high grass along the shore if go into it no hope of finding the plane.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 AM
JohnBuckner

I once did a float installation for someone on a Spacewalker with a set of Joe Bridi floats. They were really intended for an old timer and were an absolute thing of beauty and very sensual. However there was not one straight line on those floats and worse were asymetrical from the top planview as well as the profile view. The keel line was only about 25% in from the outboard edge of each float.

They were an absolute nightmare to mount as there was no references on the float to measure for both the wing/float decaledge as well as the longtitudinal centering. It was just guess work and a whole bunch of trips to the backyard hot tub.

They actually ended up working great but what a nightmare. He finally ended up wreaking the airplane and gave the wreakage to me and I got a lot of service out of that airplane for a number of years after the rebuild but Dang he kept the floats.

John
Old 06-13-2003, 02:56 AM
JohnBuckner

Default Colorado River

Looking forward to it and hey the London Bridge float fly is back on for this Novenber 14,15,16. The construction at the Nautical Inn is complete and all issues of last years cancillation is resolved. Its going to be great one this time people are gonna come out of the woodwork after that very disappointing cancilation. I,ll be there with the Quad Kaydet. The traditional Saturday nite water flight is officially cancilled this time but there will be a large number of us flying unofficially with the nite recovery boat.

John
Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 AM
moodier

John;Thanks for the info on the float fly.Will definetely write it on the calendar now so the time stays open.Was really planning to go last year! Bob!