Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

High Voltage Steering servos for flux

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
SSOOCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Voltage Steering servos for flux

I'm looking to upgrade my steering servo for something with more torque. I'm noticing a lot of new servos that are labled as "High Voltage".

I'm running a Spektrum DX3S with a spektrum receiver and 3S lipos in my flux. Will I benefit from a "High Voltage" servo or will the run of the mill servo work just fine?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: High Voltage Steering servos for flux

I run a Hobbico CS170. It is digital, titanium gears, and 333 oz of torque it really flops the wheels back and fourth.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 AM
spiftacu1ar

THe high voltage servos are better in theory, but there are plenty of servo's that do 300oz or even 400oz on just 6v. 400oz is already overkill for the savage, so, basically, the high voltage servo's are a waste of money. You will also have to get an external BEC (the mamba monster only supplies 5.5v) to do high voltage (7.4v). You would also have to make sure that your reciever can handle up to 8.2v (2s lipo at max xharge, which is what HV servo's are designed for). All in all, its useless.

BTW: JR, Hitec, and one other company (airtronics i think) all make 400+oz/in servos which transit at .12s/60 degrees or better.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I run a Hobbico CS170. It is digital, titanium gears, and 333 oz of torque it really flops the wheels back and fourth.
I use the exact servo. Very powerful and great for a Savage.... even with Goliath tires.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

THe high voltage servos are better in theory, but there are plenty of servo's that do 300oz or even 400oz on just 6v. 400oz is already overkill for the savage, so, basically, the high voltage servo's are a waste of money. You will also have to get an external BEC (the mamba monster only supplies 5.5v) to do high voltage (7.4v). You would also have to make sure that your reciever can handle up to 8.2v (2s lipo at max xharge, which is what HV servo's are designed for). All in all, its useless.

BTW: JR, Hitec, and one other company (airtronics i think) all make 400+oz/in servos which transit at .12s/60 degrees or better.

2 cell lipo is 8.4v fully charged....useless you say eh.....maby to you.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
spiftacu1ar

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

2 cell lipo is 8.4v fully charged....useless you say eh.....maby to you.

Sorry, it was a typo (8.2v and 8.4v thing). I didn't say lipo's were useless, I said HV servo's were overall useless in savages. HV servos are great where they belong (large scale vehicles and mainaly large scale aircraft). However, when 400oz/in servos exist which work on 6v, 8.4v servo's have little advantages. 333oz/in servos already push around large tires on grass at a stand still... My 400oz-in has had no trouble with ANYTHING. 8.4v servos get to about 480oz/in, but what are you going to do with that extra torque?

Basically, you spend $60 extra for the SAME EXACT servo to get it in an HV version. THen, you run it, and it ends up performing the EXACT SAME as the cheaper version, cuz the extra benefits of the HV servo are useless in the savages (lower power servo's are already overpowered).

In addition, he is talking about the FLUX, so he won't get longer runs from using a lipo humppack vs a nimh pack, cuz he will be getting power from the main battery pack regardless.

Getting an HV servo will be far mar expensive too, you will need the servo ($60 more than non-HV servo), + $20 for UBEC (mamba monster only has 5.5v BEC), meaning it will be at least $80 more.

The JR DS8711HV servo's cost $200, + UBEC = $220

The same servo (DS8711) costs $140

All prices used are retail, you may be able to find the servo's a max of $10 cheaper, but it doesn't change my point.