Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

F4u Needs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 07:08 PM
zusie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4u Needs!

Gentlemen,
I am near the end of building my "Giant-Scale Planes" F4U Corsair. I am in the process of installing a set of "Robart" air retracts. My problem is that the manufacturer suggests up to a 1.20 (4c) and I have purchased a "Zenoah" G-26 with the idea of installing it. Some questions to all you pro's out there: Is the engine right, too much?, Props, I'd like to go with a four blade from "Zinger", and on and on. Any and all comments, suggestions or ""DO NOT DO IT"" will be appreciated.
jg
Old 06-14-2003, 07:55 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default F4u Needs!

The G26 will be almost twice as heavy as a 1.20 four-stroke (54 vs 28 ounces). That's a lot of extra weight for a full-house plane of this size. It's going to be a handful if the engine ever quits.

It'll be difficult to get the separation you need between the radio system components and the engine to prevent interference.

The 1.20 FS will be a smoother running engine, and it'll sound better.

I usually prefer gas engines, but I'd go with the glow engine recommended by the manufacturer on this plane.

Roger
Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 PM
zusie

Default F4u Needs!

Dear Rogerflies,
Many thanks for your input. Question: Pls explain your statement about interference???
Thanks again,
jg
Old 06-18-2003, 12:27 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default F4u Needs!

The ignition system on a gas engine puts out RF (radio frequency) noise that can interfere with the operation of the receiver.

I always maintain at least 6" between anything metal connected to the engine (pushrods, kill switch wires, muffler, mount bolts, etc) and anything connected to the radio system (receiver, servos, battery, switch harness, antenna, etc). Some people insist the minimum separation be 12". Don't let anything metal span the area between the engine and the closest radio system component.

If you do decide to go with the gas engine, be sure to do a range check with the engine running at several different speeds, and with the transmitter at several different locations around the plane.

Roger
Old 06-18-2003, 02:06 PM
zusie

Default F4u Needs!

Roger,
Another thanks. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind if and/or when I go with the G-26 on the Corsair.
Regards,
jg