Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

35% H9 extra 260....weak wings / failures...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% H9 extra 260....weak wings / failures...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 35% H9 extra 260....weak wings / failures...

Well....I knew I should not have but I did... Hoping to get some info on my problem as follows.....

I recently bought a "used" one of these on RCU. I was leary of the wing failures they had on early releases of this ARF but the owner (he bought it new) assured me it had been flown a lot and held up. Well...on my second flight with the plane I started doing some moderately aggressive half throttle snaps and I heard a POP/CRACK so I landed and sure enough, many of the visible ribs from the root out past the wing tube had cracked and buckled the wing sheeting.

I am pretty sure I read info regarding this problem here on RCU a year or two ago but my searches do not find anything. I am hoping to gather as much info/knowledge about this before I call Horizon. I know they addressed it in the past by either replacing wings and/or providing a "reinforcing/mod kit". I see replacement wings go for $355 a side...lol....UNREAL! I am a "builder' and can fix the wings I have no problem....just pisses me off that I have to after two flights! I guess I should be happy I didn't do a High G blender and explode the wing and have a total loss.

Anybody have any tips, info, or personal experience with this plane and problem???

Thanks,
Steve

Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 35% H9 extra 260....weak wings / failures...

Well one thing you might check into is getting someone to cut you a foam wing and go from there. Just a thoughht
NEYOB
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have several sets of Extra 300 wings left from the last batch of Wild Hare Extra 300 planes. They are available either built up or sheeted foam, and are available for $300 per set. We use the same wings with a different scheme on our newer Extra 260.

Of course you would need to adapt them to your fuse, but that's certainly easier than building new wings. You'd probably want to re-cover them.

They have a 1.500" wing tube socket, and they have the pocket hinges. Very nice wings, that plane was originally 105" span so they may give you a bit more wing area too.

If interested I can be contacted at 817-430-0107. They are available in red/white, blue/white and blue/yellow, in case you might want to use some of the original covering.

TF

Old 03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
loser

ORIGINAL: rctom

I have several sets of Extra 300 wings left from the last batch of Wild Hare Extra 300 planes. They are available either built up or sheeted foam, and are available for $300 per set. We use the same wings with a different scheme on our newer Extra 260.

Of course you would need to adapt them to your fuse, but that's certainly easier than building new wings. You'd probably want to re-cover them.

They have a 1.500" wing tube socket, and they have the pocket hinges. Very nice wings, that plane was originally 105" span so they may give you a bit more wing area too.

If interested I can be contacted at 817-430-0107. They are available in red/white, blue/white and blue/yellow, in case you might want to use some of the original covering.

TF

Thanks for the info....I'll definitely keep that in mind! I think I will first try "peeling" the sheeting off the bottom of the wings and taking a look inside.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Seems like their planes are prone to wing failure. I would never buy one myself. Good luck fixing it up. Might as well beef up the other side while your at it. You know it'll fail sooner or later also.[:@]
Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
loser

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Seems like their planes are prone to wing failure. I would never buy one myself. Good luck fixing it up. Might as well beef up the other side while your at it. You know it'll fail sooner or later also.[:@]
Yeah....i kind of agree although the 33% extra of theirs I have has been totally "stressed" and held up. I thought the 260 in question was "stress tested" by the original owner but am now finding out it was not flown "very hard" by him....so...I took a chance and "lost" on this one. Oh Well.....

Steve
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

What can you do? Nothing but fix it and make it like they should have so it won't fall apart. How about some pics when you tear into it?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
loser

The guy I bought it from has a call into Horizon for me which is cool....he's the original owner so he may have a little more "pull". I am going to wait a few days before I call Horizon then depending on their response will start repairs if thats all I am left with. I'll snap a few pics after "tear it apart"....if I have to. I am hoping to "peel" off the ultracote on the wing bottom in one piece and save it to recover with. I would only have to "trim/cover" the edges to blend in.

Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

You know i would think that since this was a problem that Horizon knew about and gave out new wings or "fix-um-up haas" type kits....you would still be entitled to them even if you are the second owner. Obviously the previous owner never had a problem , but it shouldn't matter.....that specific 260 you have never got to take advantage of the wing fix. They should at least cut you a deal on a set of updated wings for like 50-60% off or totally free.....since it was there friggin crappy design that made the wings blow out in the first place. keep us all updated on this man. I'd like to know the outcome.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

All they did was provide a bulletin on their web site, detailing what you needed to do to fix it.

It was not trivial - you had to drill very deep holes going like 4 ribs down, using a very long bit most people do not have. Then you had to use a serynge and some copper tubing to pump some Gorilla glue down the holes and around the tube.

I elected not to do it and my wings have held so far, but you never know...

They should have been sending replacement wings to all owners of this plane, which at some point was $1199 to get. I definitely would think twice before getting anything else from them in this size category. This is despite the fact it's an excellent design and flies great...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
thevirginian

Abuddy of mine lost his 260 due to the wing failure. His folded the wings in flight and crashed. He got a new free plane from Horizon.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 AM
storklappe

Horizon posted the "Do it yourself" fix, but they would also provide a new wing set if you did not want to do the repair yourself. They also paid shipping both ways. I am certain they will work with you, just give them a call.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
loser

Good to know guys....

I have an e-mail into their product support dept. Tried calling several times but am on hold forever....I cant wait all day. I dont know what that says about Horizon...that many prod support issues, understaffed, etc.???

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i Had to call HH 3 times in the past week and I spoke to a person within 5 minutes.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:40 PM
loser

I finally left a "call back request" a few days ago because I knew I would be able to answer the phone that afternoon. They called back ~60 to 90 minutes later and ALL IS WELL.... I told the support dept. guy what happened and about all he said was do you want the return shipping label e-mailed or snail mailed to you. I took the e-mail option and my "broken wings are now on their way back to Horizon for replacement!!! It took a little effort to get through to a PERSON but once I did they took care of me real fast!

THANKS HORIZON!!!!

Steve