Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Will this damage my lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will this damage my lipo?

Got a brand new lipo...

charge it for 5 minutes and realize that I was not in balance mode..

Then I stop the charge and plug in the balance wire and then start in balance mode and continue charging..

will this be ok??
Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will this damage my lipo?

While I don't have a ton of experience with Lipo, I would think that it should be fine. I have only one Lipo at the moment, for my RC18T, but I've done similar things to it and never had a problem. Seems to me all the hype about Lipos being a pain and dangerous is just purely exagerated BS. I know they can explode and stuff, but I think you have to be a complete idiot to get that to happen. Mine charges/discharges/runs just fine and never gets hot or seems to screw with me.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
hands without shadows

Not a problem. It would only have been a problem if you had finished the charge like that and the cells were horrible unbalanced, causing one of the cells to overcharge.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:59 PM
The Hedgehog

It's fine. Sometimes I go 10-20 cycles without balancing my 2 cells lipos. My 6 cells I balance every charge though.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're fine. I always recommend balancing on the first charge as the cells may be significantly out of balance from the factory. A partial charge before balancing will never cause any issues.

As stated above, you don't have to balance every time you charge, but it is a good idea if the option is available (good habit so you never forget to after 10 or 20 cycles). I only balance after 10 or so charges or if the pack has been sitting unused for a few weeks.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tweety where is Northridge?