Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:14 PM
nbraunstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tuning

When I tune an engine that I dont know what its set at since I bought it used is it best to close all the screws and just opening them up a little bit at a time? In what increments should I be doing this in?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
D-Gluck

Default Engine tuning

Every engine is differnt, but the following instruction should get you close-> I'm assuming we're talking about your high and low speed settings, and the engine has already been borken in correctly...

1) Turn the screw/knobs clockwise untill they bottom out. Dont over tighten, or you can damage you engine.
2) Now back the setting out 2 turns counter clockwise. This should get you close. My instructions say 2 1/2 turn, but its better to be over rich than over lean.
3) now just tune the engine settings until you satisfied with the performance.
4) reapeat for other engine settings....

AGAIN EVERY ENGINE IS DIFFERENT
Old 06-16-2003, 07:44 PM
nbraunstein

Default Engine tuning

I thought counter-clockwise was rich and clockwise was lean. Is that correct so when I turn the HSN and LSN closed thats leaned out full?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:49 PM
nbraunstein

Default Engine tuning

It says in these break in instructions I have to:

Set your high-speed needle at 2 1/2 turns out—turning it clockwise from the closed position—and your low-speed needle at between 1 and 2 turns out. The idle-speed screw should be set so that you can see an opening of about 1mm in the carb’s barrel.

If the high speed needle is at a closed position how are you supposed to turn it clockwise? Isnt a closed position lean and the more open the needle is the more rich or am I backwards? Clockwise lean, Counterclockwise rich?? Am I right here?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:05 PM
D-Gluck

Default Engine tuning

you right clockwise = lean and counter clockwise = rich.

so maybe more than two turns... brain fart
Old 06-16-2003, 09:38 PM
mgreen

Default Engine tuning

I always start off with 2 1/2 turns, counter clockwise for the high-speed needle and 2 1/2 turns for the low-speed needle.

I then adjust the low speed based on how my car response to takeoff and always watch the temperature of your engine.