Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

wich is best pinion for hacker on voyager e

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

wich is best pinion for hacker on voyager e

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:56 PM
rcjarvis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wich is best pinion for hacker on voyager e

I just tried out my voyager e with brand new hacker c40-8l brushless ( with kontronik smile 40-6-12 esc on governor mode ) on 8 cell sanyo 2400ma with stock pinion . Flies well but climb is poor and the tail doesn't seem to be powerful enough ( drifts when climbing no mather how much gain is given to the gyro) .

No heat from either esc or motor (I can squeeze the can and esc forever after 9 minutes of flight) .

Could it be pinion ? Right now I am usng the stock pinion . should I use bigger or smaller ???

Just out of curiosity has anybody noticed that the main rotor is stiffer to turn after a run and gets looser after a few minutes .Does it have anything to do with brushless ?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:27 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

I have the same motor in my VE, although I'm running a Thunder Power 3s4p which is equivalent to about 10 cells.

If you're only running 8 cells, you should try an 18 tooth or maybe even a 20 tooth pinion.

I'm running a 15 and 16, with 15t I get about 1750rpm headspeed and a few minutes longer run time with pretty strong power but of course towards the last few minutes not as much power, with the 16 tooth I get strong power throughout most of the pack, about 1850rpm headspeed. Both though, I get lots of climb out power.

If you're using a 15 tooth with 8 cells, you're probably getting only around 1400-1500rpm of headspeed which is barely enough to get decent flying with the VE. You should be able to get the rpm you want with an 18-20 tooth but will lose flight time.

When you get a chance, you should get 10 cell packs, then you can run a 15 or 16 tooth and get the power you need but should get your flight time back up.

Or If you don't mind spending the $ get yourself a Thunder Power 3s4p and get 23-30 minutes of flying with a 15 tooth pinion and 19-25 minutes with a 16 tooth with loads of power.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
rcjarvis

Default thanks astronut

Thanks a lot astronut , you see , i've posted this question in 4 different forums and you are the first to answer me .

Do you have the same esc and do you use the governor mode?

I will try 18 to 20 tooth . by the way , do you know of a great source for li-polys , I thought www.icare-rc.com had them but they only hold the chargers so far . They say they will hold them later on .

How much can I expect to pay for those ly-po ?
Old 06-25-2003, 03:32 AM
astronut30

Hey, you'd get way better response over on ezone, you should join em, there are a lot of Voyager E flyers there, www.rcgroups.com

I do not have the same esc as you do, I'm running a Hacker Master 40 3p heli, yes I am using governor mode, that is the way to go since you have it, it regulates the headspeed which if you didn't use governor mode, you 'd have to manually mix with the throttle curve to give more under more collective (load) etc.

Thunder Power has the best cells for our type of heli's from what I heard, people tried others like Etech and such but the results weren't as good as the Thunder Powers, I have nothing but great things to say about mine. Awesome!

Here's a link to a forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
, you can pm Charlie Wang, I had his phone # but misplaced it, he is pretty busy so if you don't hear back from him in a day or two just keep pm'ing him, he'll answer, he's a nice guy.

My 3s4p costed $200+$13 shipping, shipping may be less for you since I'm overseas. Mine is the 7800mah , he now has new 8200mah, don't know if those are more or if he still has the 7800mah available, I believe he does. I've heard of people with the same motor as ours getting 30 minutes, the most I got was 23 minutes of mostly hover with the 15 tooth pinion but from what I been noticing, people in the mainland has always been gettting longer run times than me here in Hawaii, I think it might have something to do with the temps or sea level or something, not sure but with my other heli's and batteries, I always seemed to get a few minutes less run time. Anyway 23 minutes ain't no slouch, I'm happy.

Plus after 23 minutes, my motor, esc and battery is barely even warm, I love it.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
rcjarvis

Default thanks again !!!

Thanks again astronut . I'll look into all of these infos and will come back with some reviews later on .But first , I need to sell my nitro stuff !!!
Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 AM
rcjarvis

Default 22 tooth

Hi astronut , I just wanted to let you know that I only found one pinion that fitted on my ve .
It's a team losi 22 tooth 32 pitch . I could only fly it for around 2 minutes because it was getting dark and I couldn't see it fly . Well let me tell you that when the hacker spooled up I was scared it would take off at 25% stick position . so I brought down the throttle to 85% instead of 100 % and still had great headspeeed , and after 2 minutes(hover and figure 8's ) the motor , esc and battery were cool . The only bug was a bit of tail hunting around hover point and climb outs wich gyro gain adjustments will probably fix . I guess that 20 tooth would be plenty , even 18 would probably give me more runtime .Can't wait to try it for a long run !!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 05:32 AM
astronut30

Alright! Glad to hear the good news. Yes, the tail hunting etc. definitely sounds like you just need to adjust your gain accordingly... When you get a chance, I'm curious to know what kinda flight time you got now as opposed to before.