Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Flawless RIO 51 run.........not quite

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Flawless RIO 51 run.........not quite

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
wildman51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flawless RIO 51 run.........not quite

Finnally got a chance to run the Rio today the fuji ran great started right up still a little fat but It will get there my problem is that everytime I run a ways away from the bank the fail safe would shut ut down I have new batts in radio and xmitter whats the range on this stock radio ......took the radio box cover off and noticed that there was a lot of anntenna wire in there so I pulled it out and up the tube maybe this will help also toasted another set of orings maybe Im taking to long to get the cover on I dunno. and I also noticed that it will run out of gas with a quarter of a tank is this normal the angle maybe or the sharp cornering thanks guys OBTW any one got any suggestions on the orings thanks again
Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
MrMikeG

Default RE: Flawless RIO 51 run.........not quite

even though it has a clutch if you get it in the water and start moving forward quickly the water will get to the O-rings a lot quicker than just sitting still waiting for the water pump to fill up. Once the lines are full and you stop to idle the pump should handle the heat easier. When you replace the o-rings make sure there aren't any burrs in the manifold that would restrict the water flow. My Hanson manifolds the brass nipples stuck out too far and would touch the side of the o-ring, partaily blocking the flow.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
wildman51

mine does not have a clutch but I think its taking to long to get to the water I will try a little different next time thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try black viton o rings or better still teflon then you wont melt any more o rings in a hurry.
Mart
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
wildman51

Thanks where can I get viton o rings thanks again
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
martno1fan

[link]http://gasrcproducts.moonfruit.com/#/products/4520702686[/link]
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Since you're in the states, you can also just go to your local NAPA. The rings they have there are Viton and are only a $0.25 each!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
wildman51

thanks I went to carquest and got some black orings but it dont say viton got 10 of them .85 cents ea hope they are viton thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM
martno1fan

good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
glennb2006

Just run the viton rings supplied with the new engine, pipe and header that you will be installing in the next few weeks.

Glenn
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
monsterbrad

Be careful when buying O-Rings
Some say they are Viton and they are not.
Viton's are very expensive for what you get but they work awesome.
Changed mine this year and they were over 20 bucks for 8 of them.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Hmmm, sounds like somebody got ripped off .....sorry, but the ones I purchase directly from NAPA I assure you are the real deal.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Grimracer

ORIGINAL: wildman51

Finnally got a chance to run the Rio today the fuji ran great started right up still a little fat but It will get there my problem is that everytime I run a ways away from the bank the fail safe would shut ut down I have new batts in radio and xmitter whats the range on this stock radio ......took the radio box cover off and noticed that there was a lot of anntenna wire in there so I pulled it out and up the tube maybe this will help also toasted another set of orings maybe Im taking to long to get the cover on I dunno. and I also noticed that it will run out of gas with a quarter of a tank is this normal the angle maybe or the sharp cornering thanks guys OBTW any one got any suggestions on the orings thanks again
Wildman51

I do not use a fail safe but if you feel you must go ahead.. Truth is its likely not needed. 95% of the time its RX batt failure that causes a run away and as we know dead batts will not save that either way.

The range on the stock radio is about 900 to 1000' I have done some testing and found that at around 700' the boat is very hard to see and drive.. I doubt you are running out a range. Pulling the antenna out will help.. Just do not tape it back over itself.

As for the orings.. I get about 3 gallons or so of run time on a set. Viton is a better O ring so go ahead and make the upgrade. I use the stock SI rings cuz.. what the heck.. they are not that hard to replace. having said this if you are running your boat on shore for more then a minuet or more per start you are going to have to change them more often. Also as a tip.. take some 600grit sand paper after the header and sand smooth the area the orings slide onto.. Scoring or scratching a oring can lead to an early failure.

ROCK ON

Grimracer
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
martno1fan

To not use a failsafe on a gas boat is in my opinion irresponsible.
Mart
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 PM
wildman51

hey thanks Grim good to see you are looking out for us newbys lol I have had really good luck with this boat had a busted tank and canapy cracked but it was coverd under warrenty the fuji has served me well I hope it keeps on running for a while Im using 8oz to a gallon as IM looking for long life of the engine thanks again grim .......ROCK ON