Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite SD and Brison 2.4 engine spacer

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dynaflite SD and Brison 2.4 engine spacer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:43 AM
flyRC2UNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite SD and Brison 2.4 engine spacer

Hello Everyone.

I am building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon with a brison 2.4. I have noticed several of you out there have gone with this combination and have been satisfied. I am now at the point in the construction where I have to build the firewall and attach the engine. Since the brison is a shorter engine than the one used in the example book, I seem to have about 1 7/8 inches to build up to get the spinner plate the required 6 7/8 inches from the firewall. I was just curious how you guys resolved this issue and wondered if at all possible might be able to e-mail me a pic or two of your set-up. Thanks in advance for all help you might be able to offer- I hope to get this bird flying before I leave for graduate school in the fall which will make a huge dent in my flying and building time .

Thanks!

Tim
Old 06-28-2003, 05:11 AM
flyRC2UNC

Any takers?
Old 06-28-2003, 07:22 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

I recently made a mount for a G23 that a friend was putting on a Dynaflite Super Cub. I used a piece of 2" x 4" x 1/8" wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubing. His mount didn't require any thrust offset, so the rectangular tubing worked well. I cut some holes in the tubing to lighten it up, and it was just a little heavier than the flat plate that came on the engine.

I've got some of the tubing left over, so I could make you a mount or send you a piece if you want to do it yourself.

I got it from an outfit called SPEEDY METALS 1-888-744-4140. Another place you might try is http://www.machinist-materials.com Both of them sell a lot of stuff on eBay.

Sorry, but I don't have a photo of his installation.

Roger
Old 06-28-2003, 02:58 PM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Default SD Firewall

Hi Tim

The following is what I did and now have 100 plus flight with no problems.

I made up a box out of multi ply 1/4 inch aircraft grade ply. The actual part the engine bolts to is doubled to 1/2 inch. The bottom is open ended so that the CH ignition can be tucked in behind the forward firewall with some foam padding.

Hope I can describe the rest okay.

The front of the new part is exactly 2 inches from the original. Looking at the front of the fuse the width is 4.25 inches. The part against the original firewall is 3.5 inches high, tapering to 2.75 at the bottom of the forward firewall, where the engine is attached. Looking at the side view the top is straight and the bottom is tapper up to the front.

I keyed the sides and top into the original by cutting slots in the original and keys in the top and sides of the new parts.

The sides of the new firewall cover the top and front. The sides were pinned to the top and front with round tooth picks. I think I drilled 1/16 holes.

You might consider putting an 1/8 X 1/2 inch aluminum bar across the fuse at the wing bracing. The wood screws will loosen after a bunch of flying.

For the most part my radio gear is all back in the fuse, three servos, receiver, and the switch. One servo for the throttle up near the front side window. The ignition battery is up near the firewall, the other at the front side window. The fuel tank is also at the side window on the right side at the CG.

Hope this help. I absolutely love flying this combo. I am now starting my second one with a lot more scale stuff.

Good luck with yours.

P.S. I am using a Pro Zinger 20X8 prop. Make sure to land with a little power on. With this prop and the Brison 2.4 you will not need more speed so don't use a high pitch prop. I am currently looking for a three blade 19X6, but can't find one as yet.

If you need a drawing let me know.

RSN