Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

4 wheel steering with DX3R help needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

4 wheel steering with DX3R help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:52 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel steering with DX3R help needed

Im building my X-Crawler and now have fulltime 4 wheel steering using my Spektrum DX3R radio. I was able to achieve this through the mix adding the rear servo to the aux channel and not using a Y-harness. My question is this. Is it possible to switch to a mix that allows the wheels to move the same direction (crab steering) and do this on the fly through the aux switch on the radio? My manual doesnt seem clear how to set this up or how to access an A and B mix while driving. Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
kingmaruirc
Banned

Default RE: 4 wheel steering with DX3R help needed

I think You need another channel to do that. You allready use one channel to mix with another steering. You would need another channel to un mix and mix the two channels.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM
FairTax4me

I know the switch on the DX3S won't do that. The DX3R may be different, but I kinda doubt it. IF it were a servo reverse switch it would work but its pretty much an on/off switch for a transmission servo. My solution is to keep it on the servo reverse page of the menu and flip it when/if I want to crab steer.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
engineerjoe

I don't think the DX3R can do that.</p>

</p>

I know my futaba 3PK can.  I just have a second switch that engages a second mixing function to reverse the steering.  I also have a 5 position switch for independent rear steer when I want it.</p>
Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

ah ha! finally figured it out after 2 hours late last night working with the controller. Spectrum could have written its manual a little more clearly on how to use this feature and explain the terms for newbies that want to use the 3rd channel. Technical writers sometimes forget who they're writing for in my opinion.

Basically, by setting the A and B mixes, I can now use the "C" switch as a 3 position switch. I have a preset servo travel amount for Left and Right direction and when the switch is pressed, it goes to those points respectivley and holds. Pressing the switch the oposite direction sends the rear tires back to center. Since this radio doesnt have a slide or roller wheel,I see this as the best option for crab crawl. Another method would be to set the switch for linear mode which would move the rear wheels in small increments towards the EPA every time the switched was pushed to that side. The servo just wont automatically re-center itself so you have to manually recenter the wheels by moving the switch the opposite direction like a trim function. The hardest part of all understanding the mix was that the default 4 wheel steering would swap out with crab crawl so it basically came down to testing out mixing amounts.