Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

arf convering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

arf convering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arf convering

Hi,

I am having new people coming in and they are buying the trainer ARF's. Many get the tower 40 ro 60 combo , and they make good planes to learn on. But the covering wants to come off quickly.

Is there a good , easy way to help the covering stay on, at least till it takes a dirt nap????

sticks
Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: arf convering

Go over every seam with a hot iron before you assemble it.  Takes a while, but it's worth the time.

pmw
Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, just iron the seams really well and set the iron for a medium heat to set the trim, then go over the whole thing with a heat gun, it should last longer than a few weeks, then when they come back to the hobbyshop, sell them the tools and show them how to do it. Nothing sells product like people that want to help others learn and be successful in the hobby.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If or when I get another Tower Trainer 60, I am going to use an iron on ALL seams and then clear coat it with Luster coat.  Also seal the bare wood ends of the Ailerons, elevator and rudder.  The luster coat will help to keep the graphics in place too.

Dru.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Stick 40

I talked to one of the guys who is putting together a tower 60 arf right now. He has had two before this and has tried the iron and some kind of trim stuff and it did not work.
I think he is going to try the clear coat with luster coat.

sticks

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

If or when I get another Tower Trainer 60, I am going to use an iron on ALL seams and then clear coat it with Luster coat. Also seal the bare wood ends of the Ailerons, elevator and rudder. The luster coat will help to keep the graphics in place too.

Dru.