Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Infinity engine temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity engine temps

My MXB has an Infinity 18 engine. For those of you with experience with the Infinity, does it tend to run hotter than others like the SH? If I tune to temps around 230, it is horribly rich. At those temps, it bogs like crazy, is hard to keep running and spits raw fuel out the exhaust when I pick it up and rev the engine. If I tune it until it sounds good and runs well, the temps are like 270 or 280. But like that I have to be very careful when the tank gets low or I am running on rough terrain and getting air bubbles. I have caught the temps over 300 a few times. The engine still seems to be fine and has decent pinch. I can pick up the car by the pull start. But I am worried that I am going to fry the engine or at the least dramatically shorten its life. Also, I have had to fix the pullstart a couple times, and I think the temps are causing that.

By the way, I am positive that I do not have any air leaks. I have replaced all the fuel lines, I have sealed the engine and the carb, all the fuel line connections are tight and zip-tied, the tank is sealing well and I push the lid down every single time.

I am running Wildcat Eliminator 20% and an OS A3 plug.
Thanks,

Bryan
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
firebeast

Default RE: Infinity engine temps

how is that wildcat fuel working for you? My LHSsells Byron's in their store, but Ican order the wildcat fuel from them online, and was kinda curious to know of its performance.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
bkfamily1

I am not really sure about the Eliminator.  It seems fine to me, but I do not have much to compare with.  My LHS only has Traxxas, Wildcat and Blue Thunder.  I have not tried the BT as I have read generally bad comments on here about it.  I have put the Eliminator in my Jato a couple times, and it runs much hotter than the Traxxas fuel, but I would not necessarily say it gave me more power, it was just hotter.  I used to use the Eliminator in the Jato regularly, but I never really liked the way it ran.  It seemed to sound like I was getting detonation, and it was tough to get and keep a nice tune.  But then I read in here about Traxxas engines needing Traxxas fuel, and I started doing that.  The Jato runs better with the Traxxas, but that may just be a TRaxxas thing.  I was at my bro-in-law's last weekend, and his LHS had ODonnel's.  It seemed to run better on his Viper than the Eliminator, but I did not really run it long enough to get a good feel for it.  I am going to try the ODonnel's and see how it does over several tanks and vehicles.  But right now, I do not have much to go on.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a cooler plug but to be running hard and having temps of 270 or more is not bad, if you driving easily and have those temps, its an issue. 
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM
bkfamily1

At what temps do you really start to worry?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
ehroof

280-290 but if your really getting on it, its not abnormal to run that hot, no engine will run at 220 when you really putting it thru its paces, its just a basic gauge.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Redharris

Nitro engines are sorta Weird when it comes to Temperature....
There are So Many variables that affect how hot your engines run, that it is not really necessary to Obsess about it.
As long as your RC is well maintained, dont worry ,,,unless the Temps suddenly start to Skyrocket.......

I Have 3 Infinity .18 engines an they seem to run Happily at completely different Temperature ranges.....

My MXB-3 tools along at 220 to 240,,,,even when I "Get On It."

The engine in my Viper tends to run at least 240 and up to around 280 when I run hard.

The MXT-2S is the Hottest,,,,and regularly approaches 300. But I run it Harder than any of the others,,,and maintain it well. It is my Oldest Infinity engine and it still runs very well,,,,even at those Temps.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 AM
diamond4g64

i am happy that you started this tred because i was wondering. mine also runs very very hot, i dont have the exact temp because i dont have a temp gun but i put some water on the top of the motor and it boils instantly but the motor runs super when it is super hot. i disassembled it a couple of times and all looks ok and i found yesterday that it whent even better. i run losi nitrotane and my motor is freekin powerfull. i drift on jaco race soft rubber!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
ehroof

sounds like you need to richen the needles slightly, try an 1/8 turn counter clockwise and see if that brings the temps down, there is a fine line between perfect tuning and running too lean and blowing the engine.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM
diamond4g64

but the motor is still super clean
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Redharris

Diamond......

"Clean" does not necessarily mean OK.....
These are 2 stroke engines. They get their Lubrication from the oil in the Fuel.
You may be on the borderline of running too lean, in which case you are burning ALL the fuel/oil mixture and leaving the engine clean and shiny.
In this sort of situation, you may not blow the engine in an Explosive sort of way, but you WILL wear out the piston/sleeve assembly and lose "Pinch", real quickly.
If you are running HOT,,,,then you ARE running lean.......

Get yourself a cheap temp gauge,,,like [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/31166/n/DuraTrax-FlashPoint-Infrared-Temperature-Gauge]THIS[/link]. It is a Must Have, for your RC Tool Box.......