Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

fuel tank problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
firebeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank problem?

It seems that as my tank empties, the bubbles in my fuel line get larger. Ichecked the line itself, and its in good condition, no holes (plugged 1 end, blew into the other under water...no bubbles). The bubbles start on a full tank, very tiny bubbles, but it gets progressively larger to the point that my engine will actually cut out due to lack of fuel. Could my tank have a problem in the pick up? it's done this since Ipurchased the Syclone, but its getting worse with each run. I suppose it could just be sloshing in the tank and aerating the fuel. Ireally hate my engine starving for fuel, my temps go up. Itry to tune for it(Iwill end up bogging horribly for the first quarter tank, then fine for the next quarter, then way too lean for the rest), but it seems like half the time, I'm just chasing it around. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Brandon
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel tank problem?

hmmmmm, fuel line gets larger?  Thats strange, i have never heard that before.   I am trying to figure out what would cause that. 

I am at a loss bro, thats not usually what I say.  it sounds like its sucking in air from somewhere.  are you running a fuel filter?  Did you change your lines, including the exhaust line?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
firebeast

no filter, and I havent changed the lines, just checked them. If I were to use a filter, would that help the fuel accumulate on the carb side, and minimize bubbles getting to the carb? I know my fuel lid closes tightly, I checked the seal, and I give it a firm push (not hard) after adding fuel, or on initial fill up. I got the Syclone from Xenonproject.com,(ya ya, I know, should have gotten it from Eddie, but I didnt know of www.himotoracingusa.com at the time of purchase) so if something is defective, I'm kinda S.O.L. on warranted replacement. Initially, Ijust thought Iwas incapable of tuning a nitro engine, and Ithought that maybe the bubbles were normal...god it sucks to be a noob...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
ehroof

it sounds like a defective tank, contact them and explain the situation and let them know you need a new tank and see what happens.

I was asking about the fuel filter because sometimes they are not screwed together tightly and they can suck in air. If you have a pin hole in the fuel line it can also suck in air.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
firebeast

alright.  I shot them an e-mail.   we will see what happens.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 AM
jpilkinton

If the people you bought it from can't or won't help ya, I would just order a new tank from Eddie. They are only a couple of bucks and his shipping times are extremely fast.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM
amf66

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

If the people you bought it from can't or won't help ya, I would just order a new tank from Eddie. They are only a couple of bucks and his shipping times are extremely fast.
+1 Eddie's service is second to none!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Redharris

Beast.....
I have run With and Without a fuel filter and I have notied NOchange in performance, for better of worse.
An external filter is just an added level of protection against sucking debris into your engine.
I would get a new Tank.
It ISpossible to have a leaking pickup INSIDEthe tank.
A new tank is less than $10. I would also replace the Fuel Line as well.

Also.....have you Sealed your Engine with Silicone, to prevent air leaks at the Engine and Carb?
Checked to make sure all the Engine/Carb screws are Tight, and Exhaust couplings are air tight?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
firebeast

Exhaust, yes, but I havent sealed up the rest of the engine.  kinda scared to rip into it...its funny tho, I'll pull a VW engine apart, but I'm afraid to open a little 2stroke lol  I do suppose, tho, its only got like5 moving parts, so, it wouldnt be too hard to figure out where things went.  I guess I could just apply from the outside, but that looks kinda unprofessional vs. a thinly lain bead on the sole contact surfaces.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Redharris

I Know exactly how you feel.
I'm a aircraft tech and I was nervous about opening my RC engine the first time.
No Worries though!....

Here is my favorite engine rebuid VID. It is easy to follow and gives you everything you need to disassemble/reassemble an engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4ePOjjKNE

And here is a link that explains how to Seal the engine when you reassemble it.
It shows a SAVAGEengine,,,,but the steps are the Same for Anyy RC engine.
http://www.savage-central.com/module...ic&t=54465
Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
firebeast

Ah, Thank you!!  that saves me a hell of a lot of time trying to find quality, reliable vids on the subject.  I may end up ordering a new fuel tank in the near future, and it certainly couldnt hurt to seal the engine up.  you guys are awesome! thanks for the help!

Brandon
Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
ehroof

Rich, I thought you guys had made a video about sealing up an engine? 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Redharris

Lol.....You're Right Eddie.....It totally Slipped my Mind. Doh!

Here is a link to Himoto's "How to Tear Down and Seal an Engine."
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8340591

Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
nubzorz

just curious what type of fuel are you useing?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
firebeast

Byron's Gen 2 20%...only fuel my lhs stocks
Old 06-22-2009, 10:40 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Brandon,

I do not know how it will turn out, but I got around to finding some stuff to put in the tank to hopefully cut down on the fuel movement and picking up air bubbles.  I will let you know how it comes out.

Bryan<br type="_moz"/>
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

Brandon,

I do not know how it will turn out, but I got around to finding some stuff to put in the tank to hopefully cut down on the fuel movement and picking up air bubbles. I will let you know how it comes out.

Bryan<br type="_moz" />
What about PollyFill (polyester pillow stuffing) ? I wonder if that wouldstand up to the fuel?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 AM
firebeast

I dunno...the ester molecule may be too similar to the ethel or ethanol molecules, causing a debinding of the polyester in the alcohol present in the fuel...but I'm certainly no chemist...best way to find out is to dump some fuel on your pillow lol

Xenon Project called me yesterday, and they agree that the problem is more than likely in the fuel tank.  They offered to replace it, so now i guess I wait to see if that happens.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
ehroof

great, let us know how you make out.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 PM
firebeast

Got my new tank in the mail today. they sent me a redcat replacement tank. I wont have time to put it in for a while, but its here. spring seems a bit tighter than on the factory tank.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:12 PM
ehroof

the tank should fit fine
Old 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
firebeast

O.K. I got the tank installed, reattached the fuel lines...fired it up...it ran like ****. I tried to tune it, but it was bogging like mad...I leaned it out, and it ran great up high, until I hit grass, or turned sharply enough for the buggy to whip its tail around..maybe the LSN is too rich? I need to start over from factory and re-tune I think. I dunno when I'll have time, and I'm about 2 tanks away from emptying my first half gallon.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM
ehroof

try 2 1/2 out on the high and 3 out on the low, its a pretty good setting to start at.