Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tiger I: workable Academy plastic links?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tiger I: workable Academy plastic links?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger I: workable Academy plastic links?

Are the Academy ACD-1364 individual plastic links workable or fixed once assembled? Can the assembled tracks be workable on an Academy 1/35 Tiger I converted to RC?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
adolf hamster

Default RE: Tiger I: workable Academy plastic links?

hey dude, i don't know if the academy links will do so but i beleive afv club do some workable plastic tracklinks for the tiger's. i'll check at work tomorrow :good:
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
gorehound

Hi

The Academy ones are not really suitable as workable as they come although you could try drilling them out and fitting wire pins but this would be a very laborious task. The AFV ones are workable but I would not see them lasting long in an RC conversion due to them being to easily broken. I have used both while doing static 1:35 models and they are fine for that with the AFV ones being better as they have hollow guide horns and are more accurate in shape.

To get truly workable ones in 1:35, Fruil tracks would be best. They are individual metal links with wire pins and are effectively just scaled down versions of the metal tracks we use on the 1:16 HL and Tamiya tanks. They are more expensive than the Academy and AFV but would last the duration on an RC tanks - I know as I have used them for this on an RC converted Tamiya 1:35 King Tiger.

I hope this is of some help.

cheers
Gorehound
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
rva1945

THANKS!

I have just discarded the idea of getting the inexpensive ACD-1364 plastic links, and will assemble the 1/35 metal Fruilmodel tracks I bought some years ago.

Why didn't I installed it on my Academy Tiger I converted to RC yet? Because I have concerns about the plastic sprockets driving the metal tracks, will they (the sprockets teeth) last long?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM
gorehound

Hi

I am not sure how long they will last as I only used my converted one on the odd occasion but I had no problems at the time. I never noticed wear but with enough use I am sure this will happen. The other option would be to use the rubber band type ones that come in kits. There is a company who specialize in conversion kits for the 1:135th scale Tamiya tanks - link below - and they seem to use the vinyl tracks if you check out the vids.

[link]http://www.35rctank.com[/link]

cheers
Gorehound
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 PM
rva1945

I ran my 1/35 Tiger converted to RC with the kit-providede vinyl tracks, but they suck! Simply, they can't compare to individual links.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
torpedochief

Hey Brothers,

My little 1/35 RC Tigger with the metal tracks has run great with the plastic sprockets. Now I don't go bounding over over heavy terrrian, but she does move real nice.

Don
Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
rva1945

NICE TO HEAR (OR READ) THAT!

I have the 1/35 Academy Tiger I early version, which I converted to RC, and it ran fine with the vinyl tracks, but some tme ago I bought the Friulmodel metal tracks, which I just started to assemble.

I'd like to see videos of your Tiger with metal tracks.

By the way, this is my 1/25 Academy Jagdpanther converted to RC (I used the same plastic links provided by the kit):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8413679/tm.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_gdRfklkgE

Regards
Robert