Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

starter box power???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
1cougar1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter box power???

just tyred to start my new os xz .28 w/ my new ofna blue truggy starter box. never used a box before. and heres the problem. so i set up my hyper st to fit the box.put on the truggy and gave-er a bump. nothing but smoke from the rubber wheel on the box grinding agianst the flywheel. so after awile i start to notice that it would start to kick the engine over when it was at the point in the flywheel were rotation w/ your finger is difficult. i think its called top-dead-center?. any way i had no luck in starting this mill and i stoped because the battery seemed to be loosing juice.go figure. now when i was researching starter boxs i was told the 12v gel was the best to power a box. better than the 2 6-cells and even better than a lipo. is this true? cause i got the hanger 9 gel cell from horizon.i thought my starting trouble days were over w/ this new box. could it be the tune cause the os xz.28 truggy engine ,as far as the manuel says, is preset for break-in then for fine tuning. what do you think? i put it back on the charger,the 12.v gel, and ill try agian tommarrow. well hope somones got some good ideas.thanx, clay unruh
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: starter box power???

Lean the LSN if it doesnt start. Also, how hot are you getting the engine up to when you are preheating it? If you heated it with a hair dryer, heat it with a heat gun and try to get it over 200 degrees. That will loosen up pinch alot more. 7.2v X 2= 14.4 volts. 12v for the gel cell. The lipo would be best because they provide the most voltage though. Then nimhs, but when your engien is broken in use the gel cell because it lasts alot longer. Also get the flywheel out of TDC, it is stuck. Use a screwdriver and pop it out of TDC. Then move the flywheel all the way around so the box has a full turn on the flywheel to get it going. I think you might not of lined up the box right.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
1cougar1
My Feedback: (6)

sound good ill try those few things today then ill get back to you.thanx agian, clay u ruh
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know how many engines you've broken in, and you may have heard all of this before, but
sometimes those brand new motors are a bugger to get to free up enough to turn over, when they've never started up
I've heard Traxxas and some other engine makers heating the engines up a little with a heat gun first to loosen them up. Also lube it up with some WD-40 and try turning it by hand somehow, or with a pipe wrench with a rag so you dont tear up your flywheel. (This with the engine out of coarse)
Also, you could rig up some way to attach your drill to it, to get it spinning a little before trying to start it, that might free it up just enough for your starter to later get the job done for you
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Oh and Also, sometimes I've loosened up the glow plug to lower compression.... I used to have to do that to my 50 sized nitro Helicopter all the time