Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

NEW RC TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Dmann714

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW RC TRACK

Hello, I am making an rc track at my house. I am making the track for a few reasons. First, no circle rc dirt tracks exist within 75 miles from my house. Second, I enjoy racing my rc cars but I am not a huge fan of off- road tracks. Third, I would like to one day holdraces therebut I am courious as to what track type is popular.I am leaning toward a D-shaped banked oval. If you have an ideas please let me know your ideas.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: NEW RC TRACK

To tell you the truth, an actual offroad track will give you the most attendence.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

To tell you the truth, an actual offroad track will give you the most attendance.
My LHS's dirt oval has gotten at least double the attendance as the offroad for as long as I have raced there. There are many more classes that can be run on flat surfaces that can't be run on the offroad. It's an especially nice place for beginner drivers to start on and it is most definitely not boring for experienced drivers.

The dirt oval I race on covers an area of about 100ft x 60ft, not banked, smooth as glass on a good day, hard packed and high grip. I don't have pictures at the moment, maybe later, but there are a few videos on YouTube-

2WD stadium trucks (Losi xxx-t) I think they are running 27t motors here.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7h4AU7pRE&feature=related[/youtube]

4WD LM (Losi xxx-s) This is one of the fastest classes here, they go faster with air dams. I wish there were video of more of the classes we have.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfNJvuhEtNI[/youtube]

Legends - cool!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE9c2EW8gY[/youtube]

Whatever shape you decide to make your oval, just try to keep the corners wide. In my opinion, paperclip ovals just aren't that fun. There are plenty of hairpin turns on an offroad, lets leave them there. Make an oval so that you carry speed through the corners. You should never need to use breaks and you should never get close to coming to a stop at any point on the track. I also think this makes the racing closer. It's easier on your electronics too.

I'm not sure how you plan to maintain the track, but banked corners might be difficult to keep smooth. Any track will develop a washboard effect when the tires of the cars are biting at the dirt for traction. The best way to smooth a track out is to pack the dirt down and cut it flat with a blade. You can't do that if the dirt is banked. I honestly don't think you would be able to keep a banked turn nice enough to get some use out of it. The more slope you add to it, the more its not going to want to hold its shape. Most experienced drivers would end up running the bottom line anyways. Flat or banked, the bottom is the fastest way around the track.

Keep us updated[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
OvalRacer99

Being that everybody will want something diffrent, I say build what you want. I like short, flat tracks myself, I don't run off road because most (NOT ALL) off road racers I have met are not very friendly.
Up here in the Dakota's, we get more wanting to race oval than off road.

Good luck and remember to have fun!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Dmann714

Thanks for the advice. We are just in the beginning stages of the process so we have a while to go before its finished. As I said before I am leaning toward a D-shaped banked oval with dimensions of at least 60' x 180'. Once again if anyone has any imput please let me know.

Also I will eventually need to purchase a timing and scoring system. I have been looking at the ILaps system which is relativity cheap and is a pretty good system. Any imput about a good cheap system would be nice.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

Last week I was going to go down to a local track I hadn't visited in years. I checked online to see what the race scedule looked like. It appeared they changed out their off-road track for a dirt oval. It seems the oval is a popular thing now. I didn't make it down so I'm not sure if the off-road track is even there anymore.

-JB
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Dmann714

Acutally the dimmensions are going to be around 65' x 25' feet. Those other dimmensions were messed up. Anyway thanks you to all the advice.