Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Venom King of Shaves Gas

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Venom King of Shaves Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Lee Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom King of Shaves Gas

Just got a new King of Shaves. Sweet boat, but having some radio problems. I bought a venom smart temp and thought that was the problem, but still messes up when disconnected. When I try try to run the boat, I can get only about 15 feet away before the servos go haywire and shuts the boat off. I have no idea what to do except change the reciever. Real pain in the butt.

Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas?

Also, this only happens when the engine is running. So it must be some kind of interference, but I cant find the source.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
wave waker

Default RE: Venom King of Shaves Gas

try to invest a good quality digital radio,,don't be tempted to push the luck with the stock radio coz u know what gonna happen next...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
PEERPSI

Stock radio that came with the boat should work just fine if you figure out what the real problem is.

Check list:
batteries tested with volt meter to ensure they are good, both receiver and transmitter.
antennas fully extended, again both RX and TX. The little wire for the receiver antenna needs to be fully extended not curled up any where.
if you've changed any thing from the way it came out of the box put it back to original to ensure nothing else is wrong.
ensure your ignition wiring, coils and spark plug or all secure. Some spark plugs have a threaded piece on the end, make sure that if it does it's tight.
ensure you have the right spark plug installed as per the engine manual for your boat. Wrong type of spark plug will cause interference.

Failing that head back to your retailer and get some warranty repairs on the unit.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Lee Racing

Thanks for the info.  I found the problem.  I had mounted the reciever solid to the radio box so it wouldnt jump around while running the boat.  Well, i guess that all that vibration while the engine is running scrambled the signal because when i removed the reciever and held it loose everything works fine.  So, i think i'm going to velcro it to the box and maybe wrap it in foam.  Weird problem.  I wouldnt have thought that vibration would have affected the reciever.

I'm pretty excited about this boat.  I've bought the tiny tach, and the smart temp from venom.  I've also bought a tuned pipe from Bozi.  Plenty of more mods to do.  I'm going to post some pics pretty soon.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
PEERPSI

Mines not mounted solid but I wonder if you have a loose connection somewhere. Generally speaking electronic circuit boards shouldn't be effected by vibration, connectors or chip sockets could be though.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Lee Racing

Has anyone done any engine mods to the King of Shaves?  I'm thinking of getting a KWA 4.5, or a full mod zenoah. 
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM
mymammushouse

get a full mod zenoah, 4.5 not worth the $$

links to mod'ers
http://www.cc-racingengines.com/
http://www.heavymetalhobbies.com/

**theres a bunch more, just throwing a couple out there for ya
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Lee Racing

Thanks, I'll check those out.  Do you have a King of Shaves?  What is your top speed?  Change the prop?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
rheeder218

does anyoen know how to get the colet part off the motor? i jsut got the 4.5 and am in the process of changing it out.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
dicko

I answered this on the other KOS thread where you asked it.

ORIGINAL: dicko

Once you have unscrewed the screw from the middle of the collet, you place the collet on the edge of a hard bench/vice & tap it with a hammer rotating the collet after each tap so you hit it in a different location. It should pop off after 4 - 5 taps.